Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in your metalsmithing tool kit?

Hello

What tools do you need for good metalsmithing? Ive been working with basic silver, doing basic designs and want to further my skills.

My skills are basic at the moment and id like to learn how to make rings using traditional techniques as apposed to using precious metal clays.

Ive been using beads etc and just threading them, so i dont know how i would go about connecting a gemstone to a piece of jewellery - How would i do this? Solder?

Any good books or tutorials on the subject? I havent been able to find a course in my area (Manchester)

I asked a similar question a while back on the basics and was pointed in the right direction so im hoping you can help me again

If you're in Manchester you need to get in touch with http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk - books, supplies, advice, etc. they're on the Stockport bypass. BTW, jewellers cement for fixing gemstones to metal - or 2 part epoxy. You can only solder what will melt.

Comment

Thanks Peter.

This might sound silly but ive been into that shop and found it very intimidating, when i asked where to start i was sold some books - very useful books but if im honest they are very outdated, the main one was written in the 80's and doesnt give me an idea of modern design and doesnt touch rings iirc.

I might bob in this week and see if they know of anywhere offering courses.

Comment

The trick is to seperate 'technique' from 'design' - design will always change, needing the latest up to date ideas - technique will always remain pretty much the same, I've been using a jeweller's handbook from the '30s! There again, it shows!

Comment

Hi. where in manchester are you? I know what you mean about manchester minerals. I only go in there if I can't find something else where. What books do you have already?

I did a course many years ago at Abraham moss . but they stopped it through lack of interest.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Abraham Moss not heard that name for a lot of years my friend, my mum went to that school. I believe its up Cheetham Hill way? I live in Ashton Under Lyne

Manchester Minerals seem to stock everything under the sun, but i dont want to sound silly but the women that work there only seem to be interested in workiing the cash machine rather than help customers, its really put me off going in.

I have the Wicks Jewellery making manual from here.

I cant post URLs till ive posted 25 posts!! but its on the manchester mineral page under books.

Excellent for working with wire etc but doesnt really touch upon rings, it has a bit under adnvanced techniques but nothing about the basics so i really dont know where to go from here.

T'other book i have is about wire jewellery only

Comment

The Wicks book was the one I was going to sugest . It was the book I started with.

heres a few sites to have a look at. the first one gives a bit of detail on tool kits.
              http://www.silverspiderforge.com/sil...ml#Tool%20List

site for courses scroll down to North.
              http://www.jaitc.org.uk/default.asp/...ombuilder.html

Comment

Thanks

Just had a good read through the silversmithing website and tbh it covers pretty much everything. It seems to be covered in the book i have, but i only notice that after reading it on the website as it describes it a lot easier.

Do you have any general tips now i have a basic idea of hows its done?

I called City College Manchester ( the only one local on that website) and they only run course starting in September and January so ive missed this year, if im still stook towards September ill certainly go.

Comment

It's been many years since I did any silver work. You've rekindled a spark of interest here. I went to my local library yesterday and found this book. very clear and informative pics and disriptions. worth having a look. http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Making...2837778&sr=8-1

Comment

Thanks

Ive found so much more information online since i worked out the americans spell jewellery different. I found loads more websites on the subject and it made my current books a lot more easier to follow because i can look up techniques im not that clued up on.

Comment

The Mid Corwall School of Jewellery mcsj.co.uk have single day silversmithing courses for around £100 that may give you a good idea what you're getting into.
                      www.pure-light.co.uk - Pretty soaps, candles, bath and gifts.

Comment

Working...
                      X