Pmc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pmc

I am really interested in starting to use this but have no idea were to start or were to get it from so any help would be great

Thank you xx
    Hannah @ HGM Jewels

www.hgm-jewels.co.uk

pmc

Hi Hannah,
    Cooksons have along with all the bit and bobs , I have used it but wasnt overly keen. I did buy a couple of basic books and found them useful to refer back to. Maybe I will give it another go one day.
    Oh and Kernowcraft sell it and I think they are on this fourm from time to time.

Silverworkz

Comment

Hello Hannah

Another Hannah here!! PMC is great - I would definatly suggest giving it a try, you will be able to find out quite a lot about it online, or if you want some advice and suggestions give us a call at Kernowcraft - all the staff here have used it so they will be able to tell you all about it and the sort of tools you will need. We do a pmc leaflet (75p) which explains all about it and had Tim McCreight's method of torch firing, which is simple to follow, plus a couple of projects to get started.

Two things I would definately recomend to get you started is the Tim McCreight DVD, he is a real expert in pmc and silversmithing and this is fantastic to show you exactly what you need to do, what the pmc is like, how to handle it, etc. As it is a dvd you can keep refering back to it and it is much easier to take in and understand first time that with a book - literally it is like having an expert in your house showing you how to do it - and much cheaper than a course. The other is a book with inspiring projects that you can get ideas from - I think the favourite in our office at the moment is the Magical Metal Clay Jewellery; Amazingly Simple No-Kiln Techniques for Making Beautiful Jewellery by Sue Heaser. The good thing about this book is that it is all about torch firing, so if you don't have access to a kiln, you can still do all the projects in the book, it is very clearly set out and has some lovely designs in it - in step by step project format.

Things you definately need to get started are:
      PMC- we do a small introductory pack, plus other sizes, so if you don't want to commit to spending lots you can just try a small pack to start with. We stock PMC3, which you can fire in a couple of minuites with a gas torch.
      Gas torch - to fire the PMC.
      Supablox - a fireproof surface to fire your piece on.
      Plastic rolling pin - don't use a wooden one as it will stick.
      Olive oil / badger balm etc - to stop it sticking to your hands, rolling pin etc
      Work surface - something smooth and flat, a laminated piece of paper is quite a good, cheap option!
      Brass brush - to pre-polish after firing, or to achieve a brushed satin look.
      Burnisher - this is the quickest and easiest way to get a really good polished shine on your piece.

Other things you might want, but don't necesarily need (as you can improvise with different household objects and things you probably have at home already) are:
      Texture plates - a easy way of adding interesting texture to a design
      Mini cookie cutters
      Modeling tool
      Moulding compound - to quickly and easily make your own moulds
      Ready made moulds
      Nail file - for neatening and smoothing edges before firing
      Files - for neatening and smoothing edges after firing
      Polishing papers - these are really popular and great for polishing pmc or silver by hand

The great thing about PMC is that you don't need any silversmithing skills to get good results and there are so many different ways of using it. There are lots of different tools and accessories around for using with it, but you don't need it all to get good effects, start with the basic kit and see how you get on, but I definately think the DVD is a way of learning to use it.

Sorry! this has turned into a bit of an essay! - but i hope it is useful - just give us a call (01872 573888) if you want any other advice though, we'll be happy to help.

Good luck!

Hannah
      WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
      Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Hi Hannah,

Sorry I cant help with your question, I just wanted to say I recognise your avator from a certain wedding planning forum I go on! I remember you posting to say you had started up as a company. Just wanted to say hello! x

Comment

wow thank you so much for all the advice will definately look into getting the book and dvd!
          Hannah @ HGM Jewels

www.hgm-jewels.co.uk

Comment

PMC & Art Clay silver are soooo much fun, you'll definately get hooked!
            I've put loads of info from mine and others posts into one handy craftsforum silver clay hints & tips thread.

There's more info & a couple of projects on my blog
            http://pmctips.blogspot.com/

If you decide you want to do a course I'm in Market Deeping
            (nr Stamford) and teach about every 6 weeks

Nicola x
            **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
            Different prize every month
            Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
            PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deedee View Post
              Hi Hannah,

Sorry I cant help with your question, I just wanted to say I recognise your avator from a certain wedding planning forum I go on! I remember you posting to say you had started up as a company. Just wanted to say hello! x
              ahhh hello hehe!!
              Hannah @ HGM Jewels

www.hgm-jewels.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MuranoSilver View Post
                PMC & Art Clay silver are soooo much fun, you'll definately get hooked!
                I've put loads of info from mine and others posts into one handy craftsforum silver clay hints & tips thread.

There's more info & a couple of projects on my blog
                http://pmctips.blogspot.com/

If you decide you want to do a course I'm in Market Deeping
                (nr Stamford) and teach about every 6 weeks

Nicola x

thank you apparently you are near my hubbys parents so would love some more info on your courses if possible!
                thank you x
                Hannah @ HGM Jewels

www.hgm-jewels.co.uk

Comment

Hi I've put the new dates up for you on my PMC Courses thread.
                  I'm afraid many of them are booked up but I have a space in August and I've just added my last class for 2009 (September)

Nic x

Comment

Hi Hannah, silver clay is great but very addictive! I've just bought some bronze clay which I can't wait to use! I buy Art Clay and get it from www.silverclay.co.uk Petra, who runs the site, is very helpfull and their prices are good. They have a few projects on the site too.

Have fun with it!

Lucy
                    Lucy

www.lucykempjewellery.co.uk
                    http://lucykempjewellery.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MuranoSilver View Post
                      Hi I've put the new dates up for you on my PMC Courses thread.
                      I'm afraid many of them are booked up but I have a space in August and I've just added my last class for 2009 (September)

Nic x
                      Nic runs a fantastic course, you learn a lot.
                      Can’t rate her day course highly enough
                      Neil.

Comment

Ill second that!
                        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

thanks everyone x
                          Hannah @ HGM Jewels

www.hgm-jewels.co.uk

Comment

Aww that's so nice of you both
                            I've just uploaded the pictures of part of todays course work onto my blog. Eveyone made some fabulous pieces and learnt how to set glass into the clay.

Hannah I got your PM & will send you some info over. I'm just going to pop some bronze clay into the kiln and then it's off to bed for me, lol.

Nic x

Comment

hi I was on the same course as Neil and i had a fantastic day
                              i can highly recommend Nic`s courses
                              she also makes great tea

Comment

Working...
                              X