Had a go at byzantine last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a go at byzantine last night

Wanted to have a go at this for a while and I bought some copper jump rings for a trial run. Spent best part of two hours on it last night and did about half a bracelet lol, went to show my boyfriend and he said "it's a chain" and looked very unimpressed. I was gutted!!
    Please take a look at my site and give opinions
    http://pinklaces.misi.co.uk/

philistine
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

that's the sort of response i'd get, I really like chain maille but decided against doing it to sell as I don't think people appreciate how much work goes in to it.
      leanne

Folksy

Etsy

Facebook

Twitter

Comment

Lol thanks for support peeps. By the way if anyone of here does do chain maile could you tell me if you just close the rings or do you use something to seal them? Also is there a good place to get the thicker jump rings from, and/or large quantities of jump rings in general?

Thanks

Comment

You just close the rings. A well closed jump ring is very secure - you need to make sure you work the rings back past each other a couple of times, then you'll feel the ends 'snap' into place. You shouldn't be able to see any gap between the ends.

There are lots of places to buy rings (thedragonflycompany.com, beadsisters.co.uk, maillequeen.co.uk for example) or you can make your own by coiling your wire onto a mandrel (knitting needles work well) and then using a jeweller's saw to cut them into separate rings. You need to know the right aspect ratio for the weave you want to try.

I'd recommend using copper for practice, and when you feel confident, move on to sterling silver.

Be warned, it's highly addictive!
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I don't know if i go over the top, but i like to solder all my rings. I don't know why but i just don't like to see unsoldered jump rings. On the down side it does take me a long time to solder all those rings!!!!

250 to 300 rings at a time is good pratice!

Comment

Originally posted by pinklaces34 View Post
              Wanted to have a go at this for a while and I bought some copper jump rings for a trial run. Spent best part of two hours on it last night and did about half a bracelet lol, went to show my boyfriend and he said "it's a chain" and looked very unimpressed. I was gutted!!
              Don't worry - I bought Child a chain mail key ring and she thinks it's great/cool/whatever.

It was, however, ridiculously cheap at £2 - made by an armourer type person for re-enactors; he said he made keyrings and bracelets for "relaxation"!!
              ElaineJ soap and other stuff
              website
              blog

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I am currently wearing my copper byzantine bracelet and looks quite good even if I do say so myself. Really want to try a copper/silver mixed one now, it is already addictive.

Comment

Working...
                X