Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiaras - self taught?

Hi,

As I have mentioned I am launching Raspberry Bloom Bride later in the year. A big part of it will be tiaras.

I am going to teach myself how to make them. I have the book from The Bead Shop in Nottingham and have bought my bases, wire and beads - so I am ready to go!

Does anyone have any other tips for Tiara design and making?

Lou
    A fresh and funky collection of handmade jewellery

www.raspberry-bloom.co.uk

The biggest hint I could give is to work each side out from the centre.

Don't be constrained by other peoples designs. Allow your own flair in.

Treat your hand well! they will be mighty sore from all the wire twists!
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hi, I've recently set up a website selling my handmade tiaras and other wedding accessories. I'm self-taught and I started by also getting the tiara book from the Bead Shop and buying a tiara kit from another website.

As beadsbydesign has already said it takes it toll on your hands!

Good luck!
      www.fitforaprincess.co.im

Comment

Just to second Daydream - a good way to start is with a made up kit - it gives you a good sense of where you are going and proves it's not too difficult - the hard bit is the inspiration!
        Mel
        Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream View Post
          Hi, I've recently set up a website selling my handmade tiaras and other wedding accessories. I'm self-taught and I started by also getting the tiara book from the Bead Shop and buying a tiara kit from another website.

As beadsbydesign has already said it takes it toll on your hands!

Good luck!
          Hi my name is jane and I am knew to this website and I have just been looking at your jewellery,really nice. I was hoping you might be able to help me before I go mad. I have been trying to use callottes at the end of my seed bead bracelets but when It comes to finishing them of I can't seem to get the callotte to sit tight against the beads so I am left with beads,some thread in between and a callotte dangling on the end, not very professional looking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thankyou . Jane.

Comment

Hi Jane, thanks for your comments about my jewellery! The way I do my callottes is....thread on the callotte, thread on a crimp bead, grip the crimp bead with bent nose pliers, slide the crimp bead down against the callotte (not too tight or the bracelet will go too stiff), crush the crimp bead with the pliers, trim off the excess thread and close the callotte. You can also get side opening callottes which make the job easier but I don't find them as sturdy as the usual ones. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thankyou. i will give it a try and see how it goes.

Jane.

Comment

I made my first tiara yesterday. It was much more fidderly than I thought.

I did try and make one with twisty bits on but the wire kept snapping. I guess I was twisting too much?

I am really pleased with my first one though!!

Comment

Raspberrybloom - you prob were twisting too much, it only takes that one extra twist and SNAP! What gauge wire were you using? I tend to use 0.4mm wire, sometimes 0.6, when I do twisty stems and I normally grip the bead/crystal and then twist about 7 or 8 times depending on the length of the stem. Would love to see a pic of your first attempt!

Your site is fab by the way, I love your jewellery.

Comment

Morning Daydream.

I was using 0.4mm for the twisting. I was getting in a terrible tangle and all sorts!

I will try and take a photo of my tiara tonight.

Comment

It can be very tricky sometimes and you feel like you could do with an extra 5 pairs of hands but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Where was the wire snapping? Were you doing a twisted stem topped with a crystal?

Comment

Yeah, I was doing twisted stems with a 4mm crystal at the top. The wire was snapping at the base of the stems.

Comment

I normally get the snap just under the crystal. It's all a bit trial and error with the twists. The trick is to get the twist close enough to the band to make it sturdy but not so close as the wire has too much pressure on it and breaks. I often put a blob of glue at the base of the stems when I've finished, just to make them a bit more stable. I have a tiara on my site, Phoebe Tiara, which is lots of very close together twisted stems....was a nightmare to do cos I kept getting all tangled up! Let us know how you're getting on. Can't wait to see some pics.

Comment

I was trying to create something similar to your Phoebe Tiara but the wire kept snapping and I was getting frustrated.
                            Instead I made on like Charlotter Tiara but put crystals all around the base too. Its very sparkly.

I will keep you updated on my tiara adventures!!

Can I ask how much you charge for P&P for yours?

Comment

I charge £5.00 p&p but I'm on the Isle of Man so it costs just that bit extra to get things off island.

The only thing I can suggest is that you get some cheap wire and have a good old practise at the twisting. That's what I do if I have a new idea. I use an old alice band as well because they tend to get scratched.

Comment

Working...
                              X