Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

Hello

As some of you may of seen I now have new packaging, which are rather lovely pillow boxes.
    However I took an order to the post office today and she told me as it was too thick to fit through the "thingy" ( a technical term) it was classed as a package and was £1.20 something to post.
    I was very surprised and to be honest, worried, as I have been merrily posting them with a large first class stamp as I used to with my old packaging (this was the correct postage)

I really don't want to put up my postage charges, do you think it would look bad if I sent the box left flat, with the item (items are wrapped in tissue) and let them put it in the box themselves, all my customers are buying as a gift for a child so it is likely an adult will open the jiffy bag and could then put the item in the box to give as a gift.

Even as I type this it seems a bit rubbish, but I'm not sure what else to do.............
    Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

to be honest with you i dont think there would be any need for the pillow box if you did that, but then i also cant think of any other way
    maybe someone else will have an idea for you
    emma

blog http://enfysangel.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personally I wouldn't mind receiving it separately and putting it in the pillow box, it'd give you a chance to have a nosey at you beautiful work!

Helena xx

Comment

Hi, maybe you could put an option on the order form page?
        I.E. do you want your box assembled and the item inside or self assembly for cheaper postage fees?
        The customer can decide if they want to pay the extra postage at checkout maybe, but im sure a little extra postage wont be a problem for most people.
        www.creativeartcasting.co.uk
        [email protected]

Comment

Bummer. I looked at pillow boxes for my jewellery and even ordered several sizes, but in the end went for 'regular' gift boxes. Now my jewellery is gift boxed/bagged and then packed in a cardboard packing box.

Most of my pieces would go in a jiffy bag, but having seen how parcels are delivered by Royal Mail I decided the risk of the gift box arriving damaged was too high. Most days my postie hands me a little bundle of small parcels (mainly jiffy bags) bound together with several elastic bands and I doubt if the senders realised their packages would be handled this way - squashed with the elastic bands splitting the packaging. Larger parcels are delivered by the delivery van person, but anything small is carried by the postie with the rest of the ordinary mail.

To answer your question - I'd try and put yourself in the shoes of your customers when they receive the parcel and open it. Do you want them to open the gift box and tissue and be wowed by your jewellery? Or would it be okay for them to open up the tissue paper and see the jewellery and be wowed - knowing and they will be fine about then placing the piece in the pillow box to present it as a gift? Perhaps you could have an option saying 'Is it for a gift?'?

I'm chuntering on here but imho I think you need to think about the image you want your companies to present and increase your P&P to include the cost of external packaging boxes (nothing fancy) that shows how you value the jewellery inside.

Sorry for going on a bit.
          Alison
          A Little Bit Extra Jewellery &
          MyHeartsMyFlowers -
          On Etsy
          On Misi
          On Folksy

Comment

Yeah I know you are all right, LOL I think I was just hoping for some cunning way round it.

I have always taken great pride in tying to send out the best product possible. Hence the boxes!

Think I will have to invest in some postage boxes too now as you have me worried that my pillow boxes will be arriving squashed in a jiffy bag!

Nothing for it but to look at postage costs or even product costs to cover the extra expense.

Ho Hum!
            Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

The option idea mentioned seems good.
              Personally i wouldn't mind receiving the box flat if it meant cheaper postage and less risk of damage to the box.
              Maybve organza/velvet bags is the way to go afterall!!
              http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
              http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

I'd be afraid it would all get damaged in a jiffy bag. I always send things in a gift box or pillow box inside a sturdy cardboard box. I know it costs a bit more to send but I think it's worth it for peace of mind. I've had a really busy week and have spent nearly £60 on postage this week as I send everything by recorded delivery or special delivery (depending on value). Scary huh!
                Best wishes
                Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Just out of interest where are you getting your carboard postage boxes from and how much do they work out each?

Thanks
                  Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by hdflred View Post
                    Just out of interest where are you getting your carboard postage boxes from and how much do they work out each?

Thanks
                    Personally I've used this seller on eBay for about 2 years now and they have never let me down (unlike a few others). I buy boxes, jiffy bags and mailing bags from them (not all for my jewellery website!) and like the fact that I can buy quite small quantities as I don't have a lot of storage space.
                    Alison
                    MyHeartsMyFlowers -
                    On Etsy
                    On Misi
                    On Folksy

Comment

Those boxes are sooo cheap! I've just ordered 500 - what a bargain!
                      Best wishes
                      Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Glitterbug View Post
                        Those boxes are sooo cheap! I've just ordered 500 - what a bargain!
                        Glad to be of assistance! Don't know where I'd put 500 boxes!

(ps feel free to rep me! )
                        Alison
                        MyHeartsMyFlowers -
                        On Etsy
                        On Misi
                        On Folksy

Comment

Personally speaking, I wouldn't have a problem with the pillow box being sent flat.

Because I tend to think that pillow boxes are decorative / gift packaging anyway. They are not *protective* packaging in the sense that they can likely stand up to the abuse of going through Royal Mail's hands.

So, given that your customers are buying things as a gift, it is more likely they will have a better gift to give if you send them the box flat and the item well packaged in bubble wrap or whatever.

However, if in doubt - send yourself some of your work. Package it up as you would for customers and send it to yourself and see what state it arrives in.

The main thing though is to ensure that the gift itself reaches your customer in good condition. To my mind, this usually does mean things have to go Packet post if you are to wrap them well enough. And I think if that means raising your postage prices, then so be it. Better than than have things arrive mangled and mashed after going through all the heavy sorting machinery at Royal Mail depots.

In regards to the things already sent out, there is a chance if they are insufficiently stamped that your customers will have to pay the underpayment on postage themselves (plus an extra quid fee bunged on top). So just be aware that might happen. Usually customers will tell you though if that is the case, so you get a chance to make good with them. But not all of them will, so if you are worried it maybe worth contacting them and just asking if they had any problems.
                          Emma
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                          X