Re-stringing pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-stringing pearls

Hi everyone - sorry not contributed much on the forum for a while, but lack of enthusiasm and motivation seems to be a theme amongst crafters at the moment!

Anyway - back to the question My Mum has asked me to fix a broken necklace of hers. It's a 3 strand freshwater pearl one, and they are threaded onto string and tied onto the clasp. One of the strings has snapped at the catch - although the pearls have not come off as knoted after each one.

Should I just replace the broken string and knot in the same way - or should I redo the whole lot with something else, like tigertail etc...

If I should do it with string - what string should I use, as this is not something I'm used to using?

Many thanks

Stacey

Personally i would restring it with knotting silk string stuff....sorry cant remember exactly the name lol. If one strand is gone the rest will follow. Time to practice knotting
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I would use silk thread to re-string pearls

jan x
      www.simplyisis.co.uk

www.purplesnailevents.co.uk

Comment

Right... I'll have to get some silk thread in then. Anyone know a good place to get some?

Thanks for advice

Comment

Def use silk and restring them all.

You can buy the cards of silk from most jewellery suppliers. A number 3 is usually OK. They normally come fitted with a needle too.

Dont forget the gimp, either silver or gold coloured depending on the colour of the clasp, to protect the thread where it goes through the claasp ends as these point take the greatest wear.

Individually knotting pearls is a very challenging job without a knotting tool but these are quite expensive if you only have a few strands to knot.

I have a section on pearl rethreading on my site, but you will have to register firtst to be able to log in (its FREE). Its at

www DOT andrewberry DOT com/register

I hope this has helped

Andrew
          Fundamental Jewellery Repairs DVD just released.

Check out http://www.AndrewBerry.com for more information.

Comment

Hi Stacey

This natural silk thread is the sort of thing you want, it is really nice quality and comes with a beading needle ready attached so that you don't have too double over the thread - which is tricky if the pearls have small holes. We have natural silk thread in three diameters, 0.2mm, 0.4mm and 0.6mm. The book The Basics of Beadstringing by Debbie Kanan is good for learning knotting techniques and all the basic beadstringing stuff...

All the best

Hannah
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
            Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

A lady on one of my jewellery making workshops wanted to learn pearl knotting (not something I cover) so we sat down and learnt it together. It wasn't difficult more of a nack, we just used a head pin to move the loose knot close to the pearl then pearl knotting tweezers to "snap" the knot upto the pearl. The first string was a disaster (it was described as a gap toothed smile) but the second attempt looked really good.

I would second the use of gimp (rather than wire guardians), it's easy to use and looked professional.

Major tip - Wash your hands lots before touching the silk, we thought we had clean hands before we started the first attempt but it looked really grubby by the end of it.

Anyway good luck, it's worth the effort.
              My Website - www.lavidalerie.com
              FaceBook Page- www.lavidalerie.com/JewelleryMakingHolidaysandWorkshops.html
              I'm new to blogging so please be gentle - www.lavidaleriesilverjewellery.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks all. Will look into and get practising!

Comment

Good tip from LaVidalerie about using a headpin to move the knot close to the pearl. We did try out a tool that is meant to do this, but it seemed pointless and easier using a headpin or pin instead...
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Working...
                  X