Silver plated vs Sterling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver plated vs Sterling?

When I started off making jewellery I was just using plated findings as they were cheaper and I was unsure if or how much I'd be able to sell, but now I've sold a bit and got a bit more confidence about making more expensive things (as in more expensive beads findings etc-not that I'd hiked up the prices a bit) I'm wondering wether I should just stick to all sterling silver findings and beads. Do you think people in general prepared to pay more for things that aren't plated, or would it be best to do a bit of both?
    Also if you were to just use sterling would you still use plated metal/ metalic beads if you couldn't sub for a sterling version.
    Thank yoo

I suppose as a customer if the chain was plated it would be an added extra if some of the findings were silver, but if I had paid extra for the silver chain then I'd assume everything to be silver, even the jump rings and headpins unless it was stated differently that is. I suppose are there 4 types, silver plated, mixed x 2 (plated chain or silver chain), all silver, (same with gold)? And then the prices would reflect the different components?
    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

just as a different way of looking at it, if i brought something that was silver and there was anything plated on, im alergic to anything not sterling silver so i wouldnt be happy if i went all red and itchy lol,( hope im understand your meaning right lol) xxx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

Yes, that's another thing I meant ! My mate can only wear gold (trust her!) and so would need all the bits to be gold too.
        Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I tend to use either all sterling or all plated and don't mix the two (only time I would mix them is if I described an item as silver-plated and the odd thing in it was sterling but I wouldn't state that there's sterling components - as a customer I'd be wondering why it wasn't all sterling if there was sterling bits in it). I hope that makes sense! I'm still starting out really and have both plated ranges and sterling ranges though I think I'll probably favour one when I see how things go sales-wise x
          Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

I wouldn't mix sterling and plated in the same necklace (unles as Lorna says), but I think it's a good idea to do some sterling and some plated jewellery. That way, you can offer different price ranges and attract a wider range of customers.
            Celia
            I can't be creative and tidy too
            www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
            The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
            Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I think it depends on what you plan to sell them for. If you want your work recognised as being of top quality, then it's false economy using plated.
              Best wishes
              Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I think using plated or sterling are both ok.

After all, there are some fantastic quality plated items available these days, especially those made in the EU that should not cause any allergy problems for most people (those with a nickel allergy at least, which tends to be the most common type of metal allergy)

I am also noticing quite a swing back towards plated components - they tarnish less, there is such good choice of finishes and colours available now etc. And the prices of steling stuff is rising and the quality going down. So I think the old concept that you *have* to have sterling to make quality costume jewellery is not as strong as it once was.

But as other's have said - I think whatever you chose, its best to not mix the two in the one piece.

I like to use both myself in my jewellery, on the rare occasions I make it. I still tend to use Sterling for the silver-toned designs, but I love my copper finish findings too.
                Emma
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I think using both seperately is a good idea; there will always be markets for either quality sterling or less expensive plated fashion items.

I think mixing them up in the same item is confusing for the customer, and could cause problems for those people with allergies.
                  WightRose

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Wightrose

Comment

I use sp wire for my 'fashionable' bead necklaces, sterling for pendants. i think when ppl want to throw on some colour it's more about the beads, doesnt matter so much if the wire changes colour sometimes adds to the effect.
                    pendants u need something that will last, it'll look odd when you change the chain and its grey!

i bought a really nice sp chain which was inexpensive but strong/bright dont kow how long that will last. i sometimes prefer to use memory wire which is dirt cheap but i love the look of it, thin and superstrong... how i want to be!!
                    http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
                    http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

I would agree with the comments above re not mixing plated and sterling in the same piece. My personal opinion as a customer is that I perceive plated jewellery to be cheap-and-cheerful costume jewellery, and sterling silver to be 'proper' jewellery which I'd be prepared to pay a lot more for.

Having said that, I mix .999 fine silver and .925 sterling silver in the same pieces. However, I provide an info card with each of my pieces which explains which elements are which and why some findings are in sterling for durability.
                      Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I wouldn't mix up sterling and plated in the same item (having said that I only use sterling earhooks with other plated findings for earrings as I don't really like using plated and the hooks are not too badly priced), I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile having two 'ranges' IYSWIM.

Comment

I just wanted to know if it was worthwhile having two 'ranges' IYSWIM.
                          Definitely.
                          Celia
                          I can't be creative and tidy too
                          www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                          The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

As above i use sterling earposts with silverplated items as Id rather wear sterling so im sure other ppl would too.
                            whereas if you have sp wire in some jewellery it's not touching your skin. I bought silver plated earfindings qwhen i gave awya about 15 pairs of earrings but the rest od the earrings were quality not cheap, i wear them if theyre new and shiny, and i dont mind them for photopurposes you can always sell with sterling.

I also think tigertail is often stronger/flexible than sterling wire so ive used it on my wirework pieces. Thin wire tends to snap if u twist it too much so i dont want it getting caught on anything and snapping.
                            http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
                            http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

Originally posted by Linden Blossom View Post
                              I would agree with the comments above re not mixing plated and sterling in the same piece. My personal opinion as a customer is that I perceive plated jewellery to be cheap-and-cheerful costume jewellery, and sterling silver to be 'proper' jewellery which I'd be prepared to pay a lot more for.
                              I love cute, colourful beaded jewellery, and to be honest, I'd rather pay less and have worse quality (of findings).

On the other hand, I have some gorgeous silver jewellery, but I buy them (or make my bf buy them lol) and wear them for totally different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X