Anyone else have the same problem??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have the same problem??

Coming up with an idea is the easy part (most of the time when I'm about to doze off to sleep), but when it comes to giving them a fancy description or name on the web, I'm totally lost! Always end up putting some boring, dull description!

You all have the same prob or just me??!

C x
    http://www.cs-creations.co.uk

I think everyone finds it hard - or most people at least. For a number of good reasons.

Firstly, we are semi-trained by society to be slightly down on ourselves - it's hard to look at something you've made and say "Yup. That, is truly awesome. You should buy it right NOW." and really mean it (even when it's true).

Secondly, striking the right linguistic balance between readily human readable text, search-engine friendly text and 'technically effective sales copy' is pretty much black magic.

Thirdly? It's a bit boring. When you could be making the next awesome thing, it's a bit naff to have to put a load of effort into selling the first one - in some ways!

Or at least, thats how I think about it (in my own mind, I'm not really applying these to crafts, but they work well as points accross many products).

Trying to be more helpful:

Why not post a pic of an item thats troubling you, along with your draft description so far - I'm sure a few of us could tweak it for you, and between us we can come up with something which you are happy with, fits your style, and which you can use as a base for the future?
    --Matt

Web Development
    Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Originally posted by matt.chatterley View Post
      Why not post a pic of an item thats troubling you, along with your draft description so far - I'm sure a few of us could tweak it for you, and between us we can come up with something which you are happy with, fits your style, and which you can use as a base for the future?
      I thought that read "daft" description how rude !!

That said, I've got about 30 items I need describing for the web, how much time have you got?

Claire x

Comment

Originally posted by crafty-clarie View Post
        I thought that read "daft" description how rude !!

That said, I've got about 30 items I need describing for the web, how much time have you got?

Claire x
        I'm only really rude when you get to know me!

Maybe people could arrange some sort of description swap, like a round robbin?
        --Matt

Web Development
        Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

You could have a sort of basic description that you alter to suit the piece. Something like....
          This was inspired by the sunset/seaside/autumn colours and is made with beautiful/wonderful/gorgeous/sparkling honey coloured/pea green/azure gemstones and real pearls with delicate/chunky/matching/contrasting pale pink/cobalt glass beads and would be perfect/suitable for a night out/wedding/everyday wear. etc
          You could also use a phrase like' when I saw these beads I knew they would match perfectly with X'
          Hope this helps

Melanie
          Last edited by silvermaid; 12-05-2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what Matt said.. though to be fair, very few people are "excellent" at every aspect of business.. so we are all likely to struggle with some aspect or other.

Selling is a canny thing.. you can get by with a polite and interested disposition if you have a nice product, and some potential customers in front of you, everything is kind of in the vicinity, so it's almost "assisted luck".

When it comes to distance selling, you have the problem that you are not there with the product, and the customer is not there with you.. so you need a far greater sales ability to convert the lead to a sale..

Naming a product is more than picking something at random, you need to sell the whole concept of the product range, and it's creator on your web page to start leading the customer in to your "story".. then you show them the pretty pictures, and the name sucks them in to the concept.

It is far easier to do all that if your product names follow a theme - or two themes if you really must.. and at least with a planned theme, you have the name for your next pieces decided, and hopefully some extra creative inspiration to start the process off too

When it comes down to the blurb for each piece, keep it simple, but tell the story... and have all your descriptions close to hand, try to make each one slightly different.. Don't use the same words to describe everything, (have a thesaurus handy perhaps!) and avoid using the same word twice where possible - repetition does not generally make for good advertising copy whether it is the same word 3 times, or the same copy for each piece, so get in to the habit of turning things around so you can talk about the same thing in 3 different ways:

I was inspired by Autumn colours for this/The warmth of the brown tones reminded me of September in the park/I wanted to capture the glory of a New England fall - all the same thing really.. just enables you to have seemingly three sources of inspiration though all are obviously leaves in Autumn...

Generally speaking, "triples" and alliteration are positive things in advertising copy, they comfort us subconsciously by providing a subtle rhythm, though don't use them all the time, or too heavy handed.

Triples are three linked words, or a phrase with three in it - sun sea & sand or lock, stock, and barrel for example.. Alliterative phrases use the same consonant sound or letters at the beginning of a series of words like tongue twisters do "Peter Piper Picked" or "silver seas"..

Oh, and here's a recent thread where someone else asked for naming inspiration.. maybe you could find a few themes there to inspire you too.
            http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26346
            Last edited by sparkysdad; 12-05-2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I struggle with this alot of the time, but I am getting better at descriptions I think. I keep mine quite simple tbh.
              Personally I can't make up little stories for my jewellery, I don't "make" like that, I'd feel like I was being false?

"I was inspired to use these blue faceted beads and pearls, after I looked out to sea one day and a dolphin popped up and blew bubbles at me...."

It's too.........fluffy.

I think it's the graphic designer in me, I make jewellery based on how shapes/textures/colours act together, but I can't get so "romantic" about it. Probably something I should work on.
              Last edited by Endeva; 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM.
              My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
              Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Well you sort of got there with your last paragraph Endeva, about how shapes and colours interact...that's pretty poetic
                Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Originally posted by Endeva View Post
                  I struggle with this alot of the time, but I am getting better at descriptions I think. I keep mine quite simple tbh.
                  Personally I can't make up little stories for my jewellery, I don't "make" like that, I'd feel like I was being false?

"I was inspired to use these blue faceted beads and pearls, after I looked out to sea one day and a dolphin popped up and blew bubbles at me...."

It's too.........fluffy.

I think it's the graphic designer in me, I make jewellery based on how shapes/textures/colours act together, but I can't get so "romantic" about it. Probably something I should work on.
                  he heheh well, anyone can make the most genuine thing seem false and ridiculous! my point would be "look how well you did" in coming up with a suitably trite example.. if you can do it to be trite, it's just a bit of rethinking to make that a genuine and involving story instead.

If your "story" is about shapes colours textures, it is still a genuine story.. so tell it! It doesn't have to be War and Peace or a sob story from Readers Digest... It should just be something that a like minded person could identify with, buy in to, and feel engaged with the jewellery they hopefully buy... If you can get that across in 3 words, it is just as valid as using 30 or 300.. It helps to set a scene..

Comment

Another way of making your descriptions different is to use imaginative colours. Even a basic ' necklace with Mediterranean blue and amazon green beads' sounds much nicer than 'necklace with blue and green beads'

Pink can be baby, soft, fuchsia, cerise, hot, bubblegum, coral or pastel.
                    Blues can be azure, colbalt, sapphire, grey-blue, sea, or steel.

Have a look through some paint charts for inspiration.

Melanie

Comment

Thank you so much for all your comments and inspiration!

When getting home from a full time job, it's always difficult to get the brain into gear! I have seen a book about matching colours etc, might be a good buy also for some inspiration.....

Comment

Originally posted by Colleen View Post
                        I have seen a book about matching colours etc, might be a good buy also for some inspiration.....
                        I have a similar book, called Colour Index by Jim Krause.
                        It's very good, couldn't recommend it enough.

It's mainly for graphic/web design, but the colour combinations can still apply to jewellery
                        My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                        Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Hehe, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's soo difficult.
                          I think some kind of description swap would be a fab idea think it's always easier to describe someone elses work somehow.
                          Carla
                          carla jennings jewellery
                          my blog

Comment

Originally posted by Endeva View Post
                            I have a similar book, called Colour Index by Jim Krause.
                            It's very good, couldn't recommend it enough.

It's mainly for graphic/web design, but the colour combinations can still apply to jewellery
                            Hmm maybe worth a look then! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by chillibun View Post
                              Hehe, I know EXACTLY what you mean. It's soo difficult.
                              I think some kind of description swap would be a fab idea think it's always easier to describe someone elses work somehow.

I agree! Maybe that's how I'll have to look at mine, as if it was someone elses products....! Then again... might look at it more critically!

Comment

Working...
                              X