Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal clay

Hi everyone,
    I want to have a go at working with metal clay, and I was wondering can anyone recommend a really good book on the subject?
    Many thanks!
    JD
    www.doylejewellerydesign.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/jendoylebridal

thank you if you click the scales to give me rep points!

Hiya,

Sherri Haab's book the Art of Metal Clay is a great book for beginners as it has really good pictures and instructions. Tim McCreight also has some good books but the pictures are sketches rather than photos which I don't like so much. There are some really good websites that have tutorials, try the pmc guild or even metal clay supplier websites as most have free project tutorials on.

Have fun! xx
    Lucy

www.lucykempjewellery.co.uk
    http://lucykempjewellery.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes Sherri Haabs book is good for beginners then I'd get some of Hadar Jacobsens books as you get more advanced. There's a few projects on my pmc tips blog + lots of useful info too

There's also a handy hints and tips thread on the forum
      http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20016
      I'd recommend you take a course if possible Ireland has quite a few teachers

Nicola x
      **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
      Different prize every month
      Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
      PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

I would recommend Sherri Haab's The Art of Metal Clay, the DVD that came with it was really helpful.

I also have:
        Precious Metal Clay Techniques
        and Art Clay silver and Gold (Jackie Truty)

All very good books!
        www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
        www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

Comment

unfortunately I have yet to come across a course in PMC up here in Donegal (ireland)- we are a bit out on the fringes up here :-)

But thanks to everyone for all your suggestions and links, I will follow them all up- can't wait to get going with things!
          JD

Ps if anyone does know of a course/teacher in Donegal- please let me know!
          Last edited by jendoylebridal; 12-05-2009, 12:11 AM.

Comment

well after yesterday, I dont reckon you can do it from a book!!!
            www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

you'd be surprised what you can learn from a book Gbell!

Not too sure what you are referring to, unless it's something I wrote??

JD
              Last edited by jendoylebridal; 12-05-2009, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Lol - nope Gbell is still excited after making some gorgeous pieces of silver on my course on Sunday
                I'll have a look on the registry and see if there's any Teachers near you

Nic xx
                **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                Different prize every month
                Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

aha, ok, well that explains that- thanks Nic!

I guess a book can't compare to being taught in person!

JD x

Comment

I think my favourite for a beginner would be Time McCreight's PMC Basics DVD, as it demonstrates everything for you so you can see exactly what to do and how the clay looks and behanves and what actually happens when you fire it with a gas torch. Everyone at Kernowcraft thought this was a really good DVD and propably more helpful than a book for beginners - it has also had a really good response from our customers.

Another favourite is Magical Metal Clay Jewellery: Amazingly Simple No-Kiln Techniques for Making Beautiful Jewellery by Sue Heaser, which is a new addition to our range of books - again very popular with the staff at Kernowcraft, as it is very inspiring and well laid out with good projects and clear photographs, plus.... you don;t need a kiln for any of the projects so you can just use a gas torch - making it ideal for beginners.

Here's a link to our Precious Metal Clay books in case you want to have a look -

http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...al-clay-books/

Best wishes

Hannah
                    WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                    Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

i have taught myself pretty much everything i do, mostly from books and articles, but i would seriously doubt that silver clay is something that you can get right from a book, Its a very hands on thing

I reckon you'd spend more on trial and error than a course!
                      www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I think the books are very good and even for a complete beginner demonstrate very clearly exactly what you need to do - the DVD even more so than the books as you can see how the clay behaves at each stage and you could even have it on whilst you are working. One of the girls who works here had only had one quick go using the clay before and followed a project in the Magical Metal Clay Jewellery book, and although she was quite nervous about whether it would turn out ok or be a disaster (and a waste of pmc) the pendant she made was really beautiful and turned out perfectly- made by coating a geranium leaf in the PMC3 paste and firing it with a gas torch. I think as precious metal clay is so hands on it is good to experiment and you learn quickly from trial and error. The good thing about having a book or DVD is you have it on hand to refer to again and again - definately good to do a course as well if you can find one locally at a price that suits, but i think most people (especially if you are creative) will be able to have success learning from a book or dvd.
                        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I self taught myself silver clay through books, I also did a lot of research on the internet. This was about 6/7 years ago when clay wasn't so readily available over here, I used to have to buy from USA. When classes came up in the Mid Cornwall School of Jewellery I took a couple just so that I could pick up new techniques and reassure myself I was doing things correctly but I'd already been using it for over 12months!

If you aren't too confident about jumping straight in with silver clay practice using play dough or polymer clay so that you can what shapes and textures you like 1st! If you aren't too confident about the firing there are loads of kiln firing services which you can take advantage of!

Silver clay is very tactile so great for digging in!! It's also quite forgiving when it comes to mistakes, when it's in the clay form you can almost always get it workable again! Just have fun with it!! xx
                          Lucy

www.lucykempjewellery.co.uk
                          http://lucykempjewellery.blogspot.com

Comment

Good advice Lucy! Practicing on play dough or plastercine is a really good idea - then you can just copy your design with the clay...
                            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

is silver clay the same as metal clay? the stuff that turns to actual silver when cooked? can you cook it in a normal oven or does it have to be a kiln? and can anyone recommend a good place to buy it and all the accompianents that go with it. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X