Set a stone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set a stone!

Well i had my first go at setting a stone and i htink it turned out ok. I think i made the bezel too big so i have some small gaps, also i still need to file some solder away and generally tidy it up. Im waiting for my burnisher from cooksons to arrive to make it look better too. But i had to show people lol! Apart from all iv said, if anyone has any tips i would gratefully receive them!

Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

You're right - a little tidy-up and it'll be sorted. Really nice piece though!
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow, looks great for a first go. The burnisher will help no end. I have only set a few stones myself on my course, not attempted at home!

Comment

That's really good for a 1st go! A burnisher should smooth it around the stone lovely and give it a nice shine!! Well done!!
        Lucy

www.lucykempjewellery.co.uk
        http://lucykempjewellery.blogspot.com

Comment

I know nothing about burnishing or setting stones etc... but I love the design

Comment

Really nice. I think it does us all good to work out of our comfort zone sometimes. Onwards and upwards!
            Best wishes
            Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

That's brilliant, I would never have believed that you have never set a stone before, I'm sure the burnisher will give it the finish you are looking for. Everyone I have met have different ways of bezel setting , I think you find the way that is best for you, for example I always put my solder inside the bezel as I find it easier to tidy the setting up, but my friend always puts solder around the outside as she finds gets a better solder seam.......
              Lisa Quinn

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lisa-Quinn-Handcrafted-Silver-Jewellery/185802658258?ref=nf

UK Jewellers Collective Forum
              http://www.larsandingrid.co.uk/forum/index.php

Comment

Thanks everyone! I read that if you put the solder inside it can mean the stone wont sit flat...but if you put it outside there is more of a chance to get stuff to file off...well for me there is as i cant seem to solder without making some mess lol.

Il do more though! Plus my jewellery evening class start back again tomorrow night for 6 weeks so i can ask for more help there.
                Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Great first attempt!
                  What did you use to make the bezel, looks quite thick? Bezel strip?
                  My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                  Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Yeah bezel strip, 0.3mm, the only kind palmers had lol! It was far too big and i had to file a third away from the top.

Comment

Cool, I suppose it's all trial and error with the bezel strip "do I get the 3mm or 5mm?" lol

A lil tip about buying tools, the burnishers and bezel pushers etc are alot cheaper at Sutton Tools, half the price of Cooksons

xx
                      My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                      Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Try using fine silver bezel strip (it's softer and easier to form over the stone). Great first setting though, very neat
                        Nic xx
                        **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                        Different prize every month
                        Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                        PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

I think it was fine silver bezel strip. But a little thick maybe.

Comment

Looks good. I would use a bezel rocker as opposed to a pusher though. I find it's much easier to distribute the pressure evenly around the stone, saves getting 'kinks' in the metal. All you need is a little bit more of a 'push' down on the metal where there are gaps.

Edit to add: I had to go and check the stone....I assume it's either lapis or sodalite which are both very soft and very easy to mark with the burnisher.....I know, cos I've done it and that's why I'm not keen on using one on this type of setting!
                            Last edited by teallach; 12-05-2009, 08:24 AM. Reason: had to check stone
                            www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

My budget is a little tight and i wasnt sure whether to get a pucher or a rocker I went for the pusher. Not sure why....But now iv used it i can see how the rocker might be better.

It is solidite. I should be getting my burnisher today, hopefully. I just picked the stone as it was a nice colour. It was intended to use with copper.

Comment

Working...
                              X