Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallmarking question re earrings

Hi,

Probably a daft question (and the first of many!), but does anyone know whether the 7.78g of silver for hallmarking is per earring, or per pair?

I am guessing it is per earring and there is no chance of me creating earrings weighing 8g each, but I suppose 4g per earring is possible which would be over the limit if it is infact 7.78g per pair.

Many thanks,

Christina

Per piece
    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
    Different prize every month
    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Wow, fast service around here! Thanks!

Wait, when you say "per piece" you do mean per earring, right?

Sorry, I have a bad head-cold today, my brain has clearly stopped working...

Christina

Comment

That brings me onto another hallmarking related question - if you send a pair of earrings for hallmarking do they stamp both earrings? if so doesn't it cost twice as much then?
        www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
        www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

Comment

Originally posted by emmajacob View Post
          That brings me onto another hallmarking related question - if you send a pair of earrings for hallmarking do they stamp both earrings? if so doesn't it cost twice as much then?
          I presume so???

Maybe you could just get one hallmarked?!

Christina

Comment

Maybe it would be odd to have just one earring hallmarked? I'm at a bit of a loss - not that any of my earrings have to be hallmarked. lol
            www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
            www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

Comment

I think it might be nice to have hallmarked earrings even if they don't *have* to be hallmarked, if that makes sense?

I suppose it depends how much the selling price would be and the perceived customer value of hallmarked over non-hallmarked earrings.

I'm going to have a lie-down now!

Comment

Remember that the 7.78g is only for silver, Gold is 1g and Platinum is only 0.5g.

So i expect the you would have to hallmark both earrings if they are gold or Platinum.

With silver you could get a 925 stamp and do it yourself as long as it is less than the 7.78g limit.

Comment

Funny thing hallmarking. Here, in Spain, companies hallmark thier products out of courtesy, there is no legal requirement whatsoever.

Caroline
                  silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
                  bespoke handmade jewellery
                  Silver Jewellery blog
                  Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Originally posted by WitchfordSilverDesigns View Post

With silver you could get a 925 stamp and do it yourself as long as it is less than the 7.78g limit.
                    That's a good idea, perhaps I'll give that a go.

I daren't play with gold yet, I get through enough silver as it is!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Christina

Comment

Working...
                    X