Resin newbie woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resin newbie woes

I think it’s kinda bad form to make your first post a list of questions but I’m stuck and frustrated and my net research either gives me too much information to make sense of or nothing specific enough. You seem a friendly bunch from what I’ve read so I hope you can forgive me. And, um, hello!

I’m trying to make some small resin pendants, about 1x1.5x.5cm. Currently I’m after totally transparent rectangles with suspended items, but if I can get a technique down I’d love to play more – domed resin perhaps, colours, bezel cups… anyway. I have three major sticking points.

1) Resin. I see SO many types mentioned, I’m lost. I have some Gedeo Crystal resin which seems to come out nice and clear (if bubbly). Though I’m having problems with it sticking in the molds, and I don’t know if that’s the resin, molds, or otherwise. I’ve not been using any release spray so that probably won’t help. But does the resin sound right? I’m not looking for show-stopping professional quality, I’m still experimenting – or wanting to : (

2) Molds. Tried and broken lots of things. The best I’ve found so far for not clouding the resin (and being the right size!) was a plastic tray of chocolate molds. I’ve just cut one to pieces getting the bloomin’ things out. While they’re not expensive it’s terribly wasteful and now I have to order another before I can experiment again. Would releasing spray be the fix, or can anyone suggest any different ideas for molds?

3) Findings. As these are quite thick (.5cm ish) getting a jump ring through is impossible, unless I found some huge ugly ones. From this forum I got the idea of using bails, but I don’t know how well that would look on a flat, transparent rectangle. What else might work?

ANY suggestions or ideas would be fantastic. I’ve got all these plans and I’m just stewing in frustration looking at a pile of chunky resin pieces I can’t attach to anything and a cut-up mold I can’t use again. I work best by just throwing ideas at a project but until I can figure out a way to get started I’ve got nothing to throw ‘em at!

Many thanks

PS: Reading that back I realise it sounds a bit like a list from someone who can't be bothered doing their own research. Honestly, I have tried, I'm just rather stuck on the specifics. I know it isn't as simple as it sounds and I'd love to test and experiment - but starting with the right materials and being able to re-use a mold would be a BIG help!

I can recommend Kathie Murphy's book on resin which explains everything and also lists suppliers of different sorts of resin. I did a course with her at West Dean College last year which was really helpful. I bought all the stuff but decided not to continue with it at home as it was too smelly and too time consuming. We made moulds from silicon rubber which worked well. It is necessary though to do a lot of work on the cast resin piece to get a good finish on it, ie filing, rubbing down and polishing. If you don't do that the piece remains sticky on the surface for a long time.
    Best wishes
    Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Hi

to the forum

Sorry I can't help you this time -

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I'd love to do a course - there's nothing like being taught in person! Ah well, perhaps one day. Thanks for the book recommendation, there are a couple I like the look of and that was one

I'm curious as to the type of resin you used and why you'd choose that type. The Gedeo stuff I used dried hard and clean without needing much finishing, aside from sanding where it 'rose up' the edges of the mould. I'd guess it's harder, or less likely to yellow, or something like that? That is a genuine question, I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, I know it's sometimes hard to guess tone from text! But for a beginner it's not clear why a resin that requires a lot of finishing would be first choice over one that doesn't.

See this is where I get lost - so many different brands and types *sigh*

Making my own moulds would be a useful thing to know so I'll look into that too. But I just want to play! I guess I'll buy another mould tray and some releasing agent and see if that helps. Can anyone suggest a particular brand for that?!

Comment

Hi there, I'm quite new to using resin too...
          but I bought some clear casting resin from: ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/-c-41_96.html

It's really easy to use but make sure you wear a mask...even outside! or you will get ill... like me... (it gave me flu for a week :S well, i'm pretty sure it was that) It's VERY Toxic! (but don't let this scare you!)

Mine seemed to come out of the moulds quite easily, but im not sure if its to do with the resin, or the moulds! I didn't use any release spray or anything though.
          Ice cube trays work well as moulds, flexible rubber ones work really well! I used heart shaped moulds from ikea

Hope this helps!
          http://www.louladesigns.com

Comment

Pennydog is ya girl!

She has just written a book and it's really easy to follow.

http://www.penny-dog.co.uk/

She is really lovely and on twitter if you wnat to contact her direct!
            Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

Oooooo anyone with greyhounds on their site has got to be awesome O.O I've seen that book suggested lots of times, and it's downloadable? Instant? Win! Think I'll give paypal a poke...

Thanks for the link Loula - I may give that a go. I don't mind trying out different resins but there's so many it's better if they come recommended! I can't seem to find the place I bought the chocolate moulds so perhaps I'll have a look for ice cube trays Maybe a little large, though.

Looks like the book covers making moulds, too. Eeee exciting!

Edit: Ordered! I hope it suggests where to get those little screw-in findings she's using, just what I what I want to find!
              Last edited by ErinT; 21-04-2009, 09:51 PM.

Comment

oooo I was thinking about something like this the other day as I also make bobbin lace and wondered if I could include that and resin in my multi media jewellery.

Thanks for the links folks
                Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

That's a good book - it got me inspired and excited again! I wish I'd read it sooner - one of the very first things it says is 'solid moulds like chocolate moulds will need a release agent'. Curses.

P J Beads had those peg findings, which are just perfect for what I need. Unfortunately their website doesn't like Firefox and cheerfully emptied my large and carefully compiled shopping basket, so I had a big sulk and went to bed. I'll try again tonight

One thing I'm missing - I've searched the suppliers recommended by the book for moulds and still can't find what I'm looking for - there are photos in the book so perhaps they're just not stocked any more - trays with multiple moulds. I want to try a million ideas with this and one a night isn't enough! Has anyone come across anything like this and could suggest where to look?

Comment

By the way, to the forum. Nice to see you here, problems and all.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Thanks very much! Hopefully I'll overcome some soon and be able to share my less disastrous results

Comment

Hi, I don't know if anyones mentioned the following RE: moulds, Any moulds that are PE or PP stamped are fine to use, most plastic is this. Also try smearing a small layer of vaseline on the mould to help the thing pop out. Recently did a TI session as part of my uni course on it, very helpful!! Also sometimes mixing it differently helps to stop it cracking etc... on a smaller area use 1% cat on larger you can go up the 3% cat...
                        http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
                        http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
                        http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
                        email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by TerriWoah View Post
                          Hi, I don't know if anyones mentioned the following RE: moulds, Any moulds that are PE or PP stamped are fine to use, most plastic is this. Also try smearing a small layer of vaseline on the mould to help the thing pop out. Recently did a TI session as part of my uni course on it, very helpful!! Also sometimes mixing it differently helps to stop it cracking etc... on a smaller area use 1% cat on larger you can go up the 3% cat...
                          That's all very well, but where do you get your supply of cats?
                          Best wishes
                          Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Omg Carole how early do you get up? Even Jack isn't up that early lol!!! No wonder you have such a big stock pile lol!! xx
                            Lucy

www.lucykempjewellery.co.uk
                            http://lucykempjewellery.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glitterbug View Post
                              That's all very well, but where do you get your supply of cats?
                              From the alleys mainly but they're all scruffy and dirty! ;p
                              http://www.terrilowedesign.co.uk
                              http://www.twitter.com/Hello_TerriLowe
                              http://territriestwice.blogspot.com/
                              email: [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X