X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public liability insurance

Do you use it and if so, why?

Because it would be stupid not to!

There are loads of threads on here - use the search box.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

That was very unnecessary being quite so abrupt - you must be a pleasure to do business with!

I am interested in people's reasons why they use it, I am not a dimwit, I'm sure noone purchases it just 'because' and if I had wanted to use the search box I would have done.

Comment

Originally posted by Fossette View Post
        That was very unnecessary being quite so abrupt - you must be a pleasure to do business with!

I am interested in people's reasons why they use it, I am not a dimwit, I'm sure noone purchases it just 'because' and if I had wanted to use the search box I would have done.
        Your first post in this thread was more than abrupt.....................that's why you received an abrupt answer. I was considering deleting it..............now that's abrupt.

Comment

Forgive me, but there do seem to be posts every other day regarding this.

Not to have insurance is not a good idea, public liability for anything happening to your public whilst selling, product liability for if anything goes wrong with your product.

I am not sure what you make/sell but insurance is necessary, just as it is with driving a car.

hth

Jane
          www.just-soaps.com
          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I don't consider my post abrupt at all, it was to the point. I think you're being a bit over sensitive. I am relatively new to this forum and forgive me if I haven't read every single post or get to view this forum every single day and regardless of whether this has been put in a hundred times, your manner was abrupt. I didn't say I hadn't got liability insurance I just asked what other peoples reasons were for getting it. A lot of people use this forum to educate themselves and to get other people's opinions which is just what I was doing. If you wish to delete my thread go ahead but it does seem a rather bizarre stance to take when I've done nothing wrong only asked a question.

Comment

Why on earth should I delete it? You asked a question, and after a misunderstanding Greannancrafts answered it....................no probs. You may get more answers now.

Comment

Personally i didnt get the insurance until after a while getting my business up and running (well i say up and running, i mean after my website went live and i started to do a few craft fairs). If you start your business and find out that its not going anywhere then the insurance would be a waste of money.

So yes its a good idea to get the insurance, but i feel buying in materials and testing the market is something to do first. But thats just me...
                Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Thanks for that. I'm quite interested in knowing if people purchase it as a result of risk assessment relevant to what they produce for example, we all know that a high percentage of people are allergic to nickel, or like many insurances do people purchase it out of a sense of duty, just because they feel they should?

Comment

I'm not sure that it comes down to what you sell really, although I see where you're coming from.

For example, I would think that all crafters would have a table cloth covering their stall at an event. If someone walks past the table and trips on the cloth it's the seller that's liable for any injury's, so in this case it makes no difference what you're selling.

I do agree though with Handcrafted - I would also test the water first in terms of your craft and sales.
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

It depends on what is being sold and how it's being sold.

When I was selling just corn dollies and felt I had a general one covered by the Country Business insurance from NFU - public liability re tripping over part of stand, display etc. (and most venues required this at least).

Since I've been making soap and toiletries I've taken out a much wider cover with specific product liability and also including teaching and demonstrating as I occasionally do group workshops on corn dollies and felting.
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

Originally posted by Katianne View Post
                        If someone walks past the table and trips on the cloth it's the seller that's liable for any injury's, so in this case it makes no difference what you're selling.
                        Yes that's a good point, I don't do craft fairs but it's given me food for thought because I had focused on the work itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                          It depends on what is being sold and how it's being sold.

When I was selling just corn dollies and felt I had a general one covered by the Country Business insurance from NFU - public liability re tripping over part of stand, display etc. (and most venues required this at least).
                          Yes it's quite common for venues not to allow people to use their facility unless they're covered.

Comment

I've just realised that the thread should have been titled Product liability ..which explains a few things

Comment

Originally posted by Fossette View Post
                              I've just realised that the thread should have been titled Product liability ..which explains a few things
                              No problem, we can all make mistakes

Jane
                              www.just-soaps.com
                              Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Working...
                              X