Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you glue things onto sterling silver sheet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you glue things onto sterling silver sheet?

Questions in the title really.
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

What sort of things?
    Best wishes
    Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

of course you can (no different to using sterling silver pad findings for glass/gems etc). It would have to be a real last resort for me though

What is it?
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Its instead of using a bezel setting...i just want to glue the flat based bead onto the silver.
        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I wouldn't

Not least because I think you'd get a glue line (unless you're talking about a silver pad smaller than the size of the cab).

For me, it goes further than that though. A well made piece of fabricated jewellery shouldn't ever need glue IMO. But that really is just an opinion.

The only time I think glue's OK is for cab pendants/earrings/cufflinks etc. Even then, it's a last resort for me. I much prefer to see a bezel setting if it's at all possible.

If you decide to try it, make sure you've got a key for both surfaces, use the best glue you can and leave plenty of drying time.
          george
          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I dont think i have the skill for making a bezel! And i cant afford to mess it up if i try. I just wanted a feature on it of a stone. Plus i dont have any bezel strip and i dont need anything else from Palmers just now so i cant justify the postage Its ok, il leave it just now.

Comment

You don't need bezel strip! I don't know what gauge of sheet you have there but I'm sure you could bend it up into a setting for your stone
              www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

You could perhaps pierce out little prongs to hold your stone. I don't think there's anything wrong with using glue as long as it's not obvious. I often use a little glue in bezel settings as it helps hold the stone in place while I'm setting it and no-one knows it's there (except you now, of course!!).
                Best wishes
                Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
                  I dont think i have the skill for making a bezel! And i cant afford to mess it up if i try. I just wanted a feature on it of a stone. Plus i dont have any bezel strip and i dont need anything else from Palmers just now so i cant justify the postage Its ok, il leave it just now.
                  We were making bezels by the end of the weekend course I went on - it's a lot easier than you might think. But if you don't have the right materials, I imagine it's best to wait
                  "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
                  Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
                  http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X