Solder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder help

I want to solder some flattened wire to to a bit of copper. The last time i did this in class i melted the wire! But the teacher wouldnt let anyone use any solder apart from hard!

Should i be using medium or even soft?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

We used soft in the class I went to - using hard would be a bit daft
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

I only use hard if it's the first stage of a multi-part soldering job. I use medium or easy (whichever comes to hand first!) for single-stage jobs. If thin wire's involved, I'd generally go for easy solder to avoid melting it.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Extra easy is also available if you are not planning to do any more soldering to the piece
        www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Well i tried medium. But the solder wasnt the problem! The wire just wont sit flat. Iv tried to use the black wire that holds things in place but its not working!

So they need pickled now before i can try again!
          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

have you got a third hand? I actually find this more useful than binding wire for lots of soldering jobs. I think proops do one at a pretty good price.
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Sometimes it's possible to solder one end of the wire and use a soldering pick to hold down the other end until the solder flows all the way along. It's a bit tricky though as you need to keep a close eye on the entire length of wire to prevent it melting. You could also try placing the piece on a wire rack and soldering from underneath to prevent the wire melting. It can be a bit tricky though and needs a bit of practice.
              Best wishes
              Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
                have you got a third hand? I actually find this more useful than binding wire for lots of soldering jobs. I think proops do one at a pretty good price.
                Lol, i took that as a literal question! I have 2 hands just like everyone else!

Il have a look at the third hand. I want to do a lot of wire soldering as its my sort of thing. Its just typical that its more fiddley!

Cheers.

Comment

Be aware that the downside to doing a lot of soldering of wire onto sheet is that you will always struggle to get a high quality of finish around the surrounding area.
                  www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

One thing to remember when soldering small things (wires) to large things plates etc you need to direct the heat to the largest piece and get it up to temperature first. Heat the small thing first or too much and it will melt before the plate gets anywhere near hot enough for the solder to melt.
                    Sometimes you can heat the largest piece, placing a small bit of solder in position. When the solder melts just move the wire into place. If you keep the flame playing over the solder the wire will be up to soldering temperature as you move it to its final position.
                    Just remember biggest piece most heat, smallest piece least heat.
                    Also part of the fun is trying to work out the assembly order so that you can work backwards from hard to easy solders. But I’m currently trying to do most of the soldering using just hard solder, as I find the colour changes between the different silver solders.

Comment

Working...
                    X