Finding Quality Crimp Beads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Quality Crimp Beads!

I have been reading threads about problems with bracelets etc coming apart and beads going everywhere, there were lots of recommendations to use crimp beads to finish.

I have only just started making jewellery but have already found like everything else you get what you pay for and need to use quality crimp beads.

I have only made a couple of things so far but I am using extra crimp beads throughout the stringing to make sure I don't have problems with the items falling apart adding a blob of Hypo Cement and then covering with a bead.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND SUPPLIER/SUPPLIERS OF QUALITY CRIMP BEADS WHO OFFER REASONABLE PRICES

I am sure that there are loads of us on the Forum who would benefit from this info and save wasting money on the cheaper ones that break.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Linda,

I find it's best to use sterling or gold fill crimps rather than plated, they are more reliable. I have bought from Palmers online and Buffy's Beads shop in London, they have been good quality. I'm sure other places sell them too.
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I hate these little blighters, but find that they are a necessary evil. Silver plated can be O.K. but sterling are less likely to break. Good luck with using them.
      http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

Hey there.
        It really depends on what type of jewellery you make.
        If you are making high end stuff then definately go with silver or gold crimps.
        If you are happy to use silver plated crimps then these are good too, I have never had a problem with them splitting or cracking IF used properly with crimping pliers. Beadalon crimps are a good quality make and they are mostly uniform in shape and size.
        You can pick them up on a lot of sites including ebay.
        To my mind, it's pointless using a good crimp and then mashing it with flat nosed pliers, be sure to use crimping pliers which give a much nicer finish and a stronger crimp which will last longer and not work its way loose over time. I always double crimp too - use 2 crimps at each end of the clasp, this way it's much less likely to break as the pressure and strain is not being held all on one crimp, and if the first one gives way then you always have the back up of the second crimp.
        Hope this helps
        Louise
        x
        Last edited by Louise77; 05-04-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I shall now look into the crimp market! Well when I have some extra money that is!

Comment

With all plated findings there is 'dirt cheap rubbish' and there's 'good quality for value'. Our crimps are silver plated onto copper and well finished with no jaggered edges. Cheap crimps can either crack open or the plating peals off.

We sell both plated and sterling silver if you fancy a look

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

i have found sterling better and less likely to crack, and i prefer the smaller ones as they seem easier to use
              www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I use SP ones from Beads Unlimited and never had a problem with tem cracking, they seem very good to me, I have toyed with switching to Sterling as most people on here seem to think they are so much better but, then I think if it aint broke don't fix it!

I triple crimp as mine is children's jewellery and I need to be sure of the safety aspect and I use a crimp cover on one of the crimps too just to be sure! LOL
                Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

Personally I prefer to use Sterling crimp tubes and for the ends where you're doubling back the wire, I use a 2mm crimp tube.

If you flatten crimps with your pliers, they'll always be a risk of the wire slipping out. If you want peace of mind that you end will never come out then you need to finish you crimp tube with crimping pliers.

They make a huge difference and create a 'U' shaped which wraps around the two strands of wire, and believe me the hold is terrific. I also like to use wire guardians around the ends to prevent the wire from abrasion or it slipping through the gap in a jump ring.

Debbie
                  www.beadservice.net
                  On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Regardless of whether the piece I am making uses plated or sterling components, I only use 2x2mm sterling crimps and I only buy them from Burhouse. I use standard crimping pliers. Never had a problem with the crimps yet.

I've tried them from other suppliers but not had the quality that I get from Burhouse.

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about sterling crimps from Palmers being sub-standard, Whilst I use Palmers regularly for lots of stuff, I still use Burhouse for my crimps.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Having just about wire guardians - never heard of them before - i was wondering if anyone has a photo where they have used them so i can see how they sit on a piece please? Would be interesting to see before i get some to try them out and do they do them in sterling as well as plate?
                      Thanks in advance

Comment

This is what they look like in "action". Don't laugh at the design (It was made for a little girl)
                        http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

Not laughing at the design at all honest! I think it looks quite sweet!
                          Eyesight is not that brilliant these days! But it does seem to finish them off quite well when there's a necklace or bracelet full of beads quite a good idea googled them and found some sterling silver ones i think i'll give them a try. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Beadservice View Post
                            With all plated findings there is 'dirt cheap rubbish' and there's 'good quality for value'. Our crimps are silver plated onto copper and well finished with no jaggered edges. Cheap crimps can either crack open or the plating peals off.

We sell both plated and sterling silver if you fancy a look

Debbie
                            Thanks Debbie that is what I was looking for, as I am aiming to hit both ends of the market, I know things are pretty tough out there for people at the moment (including me), so wanted to make a range of stuff for the cheaper end of the market too.

and I am sure that your info will help others too.

Linda

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much for all of the sound advice.

As usual, I am sure that many will benefit from the experience of others.

Regards

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X