Halfway To A Tantrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfway To A Tantrum

Most of the necklaces I've made so far have been with seed beads, strung on strong looming thread and finished with a calotte. I just made my 36th necklace yesterday (not seed beads) and have made three bracelets with bugle beads and seed beads.

One bugle bead necklace I was wearing that I made, literally fell apart when I was cooking .. beads went everywhere. The thread had come loose from the calotte. It was a four strand necklace and luckily only one stand came free.

Then as I was putting a necklace on the dowling where I store them about a week later, the calotte fell off

Last night, I was doing the clasp up on another and lo and behold, yes, you guessed it, the thread slipped the calotte It was evening and they went everywhere. I was there for ages scooping up seed beads in really bad light and vowed NEVER was I making anything again because I was rubbish and imcompetant and I proceeded to call myself all sorts of names.

How I used to finish them was with a dab of superglue in the calotte and I've just started to tie the end thread to a seed bead and dab glue on that and THEN I clamp the calotte closed. I do this both ends, but I still live in fear of something breaking loose. I sent my friend a necklace and I'm scared that it'll happen to hers now.
    Those who don't use wire and crimps (I don't even know how to use these materials) how do you secure your calottes?

You can see some of my necklaces in my album if you're interested. As I've said before, I'm only a beginner and losing faith my the day. I know that's only three out of thirty six, but I take knocks easily I'm afraid.

I normally thread the stringing material through the calotte, then double through a seed bead and tie a couple of knots, moving the knot down near the bead, then a dab of glue and clamp closed.

Comment

I can't help with your dilemma I'm afraid as I've never used calottes but I just have to say your jewellery is absolutely gorgeous, so don't loose faith in your abilities.

I made some memory wire bracelets when I started, someone (from the forum) bought one and my daughter was wearing another when the bead cap I'd glued onto the end fell off (and yep, like you beads everywhere!) I panicked that the same would happen to the one I'd sold & got her to send it back so I could put a loop in the end instead (and then to my horror the bracelet got lost in the post, was just before Christmas & she never got the bracelet back, I had to refund her!) So I learnt from my costly mistake, but that doesn't make me bad at what I do just as it doesn't with you - you're still learning and from this you'll find a better way to secure your necklaces. If anyone does have a problem, I'm sure as long as you give a great customer service and replace/repair one if it does fall apart, it won't be a major problem.

Your beading is gorgeous though, so keep it up
      "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
      Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
      Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

That sounds very much like what I'm doing now. Have you ever had any problems Caroline?

Thank you for taking the time to reply by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn Faerie View Post
          I can't help with your dilemma I'm afraid as I've never used calottes but I just have to say your jewellery is absolutely gorgeous, so don't loose faith in your abilities.

I made some memory wire bracelets when I started, someone (from the forum) bought one and my daughter was wearing another when the bead cap I'd glued onto the end fell off (and yep, like you beads everywhere!) I panicked that the same would happen to the one I'd sold & got her to send it back so I could put a loop in the end instead (and then to my horror the bracelet got lost in the post, was just before Christmas & she never got the bracelet back, I had to refund her!) So I learnt from my costly mistake, but that doesn't make me bad at what I do just as it doesn't with you - you're still learning and from this you'll find a better way to secure your necklaces. If anyone does have a problem, I'm sure as long as you give a great customer service and replace/repair one if it does fall apart, it won't be a major problem.

Your beading is gorgeous though, so keep it up
          Aww thank you, that means a lot!

I'm sorry you had problems too. It's awful when things break .. I just stared in horror as they went everywhere. That's three necklaces that need putting back together now .. well at least it's happened to just me so far, well I hope so, because one of my necklaces is in New Zealand!

Comment

With calottes, I just usually use a 2mm crimp inside it, no glue or anything.
            From what I've heard about superglue, it seems to make threads brittle after a while.
            My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
            Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Originally posted by Endeva View Post
              With calottes, I just usually use a 2mm crimp inside it, no glue or anything.
              From what I've heard about superglue, it seems to make threads brittle after a while.
              Oh dear .. that doesn't sound good.
              I should look into crimps, though I'm not sure how to use them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                I can't help with your problem but I just wanted to say don't let that get you down. I spend so much time on my hands and knees under the desk!!! Usually because I lost grip, or because I was trying really hard to thread the end of my wire back through the crimp - really silly reasons, in my opinion.

I don't use seed beads (I'm not the most patient person ever) so can only imagine how infuriating it must have been - but don't let it get to you.

P.S. I LOVE this!

I'm always pinging beads across the room! They often fly into the bunny pen. I shake our floor rugs out every other day and if I've beaded inbetween rug shakes, you can guarantee I find a good few in doing this!

I have lots of seed beads but now feel I want to branch out .. nothing at all to do with dropping them and bigger beads being easier to round up, honest!

And thank you! A lot of people like that one, in fact, anything bordering on gothic or Victorian, seems to appeal to people I know. It's a pity I can't find cabochons that big anywhere though, as these are very theraputic to do..

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie View Post
                  I should look into crimps, though I'm not sure how to use them yet.
                  Simple hun
                  Once you've finished stringing your beads, slide the calotte onto your thread followed by the small crimp (looks like a pearl in a clam shell ).
                  Squash the crimp with pliers, trim off excess thread and close the calotte as normal.
                  My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
                  Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

hi, i'm always worried my stuff will break i've made a few seed bead necklaces and i thread the cotton through a seed bead a couple of times which sits in the calotte then put a dab of cement glue on it then thread the thread down the necklace tying a few knots in places. Probably a bit over the top but i'm paranoid

A tip for all those spilt beads is a pair of tights over the vacuum nozzle collects them all up nicely
                    leanne

Folksy

Etsy

Facebook

Twitter

Comment

That sounds very much like what I'm doing now. Have you ever had any problems Caroline?

Thank you for taking the time to reply by the way.
                      Have had problems with the end knobs of the memory wire coming off and beads shooting every which way, I now bend over the ends instead, add a chain between the 2 and make it a feature. I use bead glue and have not had a problem yet with the calotte and bead method.

Comment

Simple hun
                        Once you've finished stringing your beads, slide the calotte onto your thread followed by the small crimp (looks like a pearl in a clam shell ).
                        Squash the crimp with pliers, trim off excess thread and close the calotte as normal.
                        Just adding here great advice but look for quality crimp beads as believe this can make a huge difference to the strength etc. will maybe start a thread to see who can recommend a value for money supplier of these.

Linda

Comment

Dont Give Up

Most of the necklaces I've made so far have been with seed beads, strung on strong looming thread and finished with a calotte. I just made my 36th necklace yesterday (not seed beads) and have made three bracelets with bugle beads and seed beads.

One bugle bead necklace I was wearing that I made, literally fell apart when I was cooking .. beads went everywhere. The thread had come loose from the calotte. It was a four strand necklace and luckily only one stand came free.

Then as I was putting a necklace on the dowling where I store them about a week later, the calotte fell off

Last night, I was doing the clasp up on another and lo and behold, yes, you guessed it, the thread slipped the calotte It was evening and they went everywhere. I was there for ages scooping up seed beads in really bad light and vowed NEVER was I making anything again because I was rubbish and imcompetant and I proceeded to call myself all sorts of names.

How I used to finish them was with a dab of superglue in the calotte and I've just started to tie the end thread to a seed bead and dab glue on that and THEN I clamp the calotte closed. I do this both ends, but I still live in fear of something breaking loose. I sent my friend a necklace and I'm scared that it'll happen to hers now.
                          Those who don't use wire and crimps (I don't even know how to use these materials) how do you secure your calottes?

You can see some of my necklaces in my album if you're interested. As I've said before, I'm only a beginner and losing faith my the day. I know that's only three out of thirty six, but I take knocks easily I'm afraid.
                          Hi Melanie,

Don't give up, I have just started a thread asking others to help with suppliers of quality crimp beads at reasonable prices.

I had a problem too, I had used crimp beads but think they were inferior quality as I had bought a few bits from someone who had given up jewellery making. I have found like everything else you get what you pay for.

Keep going with it, I know it can be frustrating keep reading the threads as this forum is so full of useful tips.

Linda

Comment

Simple hun
                            Thank you so much for helping I feel all too new to this so help is always appreciated.

Comment

Thank you everyone else for your hap and advice! The tights one is a good one! I shall bear that in mind! And Linda thank you too for the new thread, which Is hall pop over and peruse now!

Comment

Working...
                              X