Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy wire wrapped pendant

Hi all,

Just a quick question before I get on with the joys of housework. Why does that always get in the way of creativity?

Anyway, that wasn't my question, lol. Does anyone know where I can find a good tutorial for wire wrapping? I know there's loads out there for this sort of thing, but it's a particular style I'm looking for.

I have a few briolette pendant style gems I'd like to make earrings with, but I'd like to do more silver wire down the body of the gem than usual. I'd like to know how to do this (not uniformly necessarily) and make a 'bail' of sorts with the wire too, to hang from the earwire. The holes run horizontally.

If anyone knows what I'm going on about, any help would be appreciated.

Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
    ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Do you mean like these:

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...819#post174819

If you use particularly thin wire, make loops with both the ends of the wire before you start the wrapping.

Another example here:

or the bottom bead here:

Sorry, both of these happen to be heavily oxidised pieces, but should give you the idea!

If it's any help, I generally wrap to well below the drilled holes fairly evenly, and then more randomly on the way back up which means the cut end can be tucked in near the top for neatness.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I think I've got a vague idea on how to do it, but yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm getting at. I'm surprised you understood my ramblings, lmao. Well done you.

I have some silver plate wire that I'll practice with first. (also because I don't have any silver wire right now )
      Rach x

Comment

Hiya, sorry not too sure what ya mean lol
        But you can give this site a try - there might be someink on there that's similar to what you want - eni oken

carla jennings jewellery
        Carla
        carla jennings jewellery
        my blog

Comment

Hi Rachel

We have some wire wrapping tutorials / techniques on our website, one which shows you how to wire wrap a briolette - which sounds like what you are looking for:

http://www.kernowcraft.com/jewellery...g-a-briolette/

our other techniques are here:
          http://www.kernowcraft.com/jewellery...ps/techniques/
          we are working on building this up with many more techniqies so if there is anything else you think would be useful let us know and we'll add it!

If you are looking for a good wire wrapping book, the Mark Lareau book 'All Wired Up' is great, lots of really useful and decorative techniques plus some lovely projects with easy to follow step by step illustrations, if your interested in learning more about wire work I'd definately recomend this.
          http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...wired-up-C237/

Hope that helps!

Hannah
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
          Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Kinda made a shortfall on the wire needed on the second earring, but by george I think I got it! LOL! I've been wanting to attempt this for a while, but either never had the time or the technique to.

When I have a moment, I'll do a pic and get opinions if thats okay. I usually do sterling and this is plate... but I kinda like em, so I'm now dithering whether to keep em, or redo em when I get the sterling. Confused as always.

Thanks guys!
            Rach x

Comment

Cant wait to see this Rach! Have you sold my necklace yet? or should I keep up the heavy hints...nearly there lol
              Sarah

Comment

Rofl, it's still here. I've not sold anything in I don't know how long... so yeah, it's still here.

Said earrings. not the greatest quality, but for a first attempt... the stones are carnelian btw. I reckon I should redo them with sterling when I get it, eh?
                Rach x

Comment

Yes! Only because the stones are very pretty and deserve sterling or fine silver IMO.
                  george
                  www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                  www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                  www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I really dont understand why your not selling, your jewellery is so so beautiful, Im really impressed!

Love the pic too, your a bit of a photographer are you not? I could do with your skills my pics are hopeless!
                    Sarah

Comment

Okay, sterling it is then. I usually do all my gemstone pieces with sterling anyway. Not that keen on plate as it tends to tarnish so badly.

I don't understand why I'm not selling either. LOL. Seriously... I think it's something to do with being so new, plus the poeple in this area just don't want to spend. They like the cheaper the better. *shrug* It would help if I could get out to fairs and do parties, but without my own transport, it's pretty much impossible. The best outlet for me is online, which is doing nothing.

Yet. Fingers crossed, lol.

I try to get the best pics I can, with the facilities I have. If the light isn't great, there's a lot of postwork goes on in photoshop. But, I guess I get my photographic skills from my father. He used to develop his own, way back when, lmao.

Thanks guys.

*mwah*
                      Rach x

Comment

Working...
                      X