Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First breakage - ARGH!

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 02-07-2009, 05:20 PM.

Use the words 'fair wear and tear' to say what you would expect to repair. This sounds as if it has been abused - I even take my watch off to 'lug stuff about'!

Comment

It could also be a sharp bit inside a chip that's done it - I had one necklace break 3 times (Luckily it was my other halfs) I also had a clean break one from someone who bought from a gallery - I fixed it and returned it right away - the cutomer has since bought a further 2 and the Gallery owner continues to be my best sales person.The grace by which you quickly fix a problem is worth a hundred happy customers without a problem I think .
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

Sometimes if something is a bit on the heavy side (which yours is not), I will double the wire and use 2 crimp beads (if you're using them), it just makes me feel that I've done everything possible to prevent a break. It does happen to us all, my last one was my 6 year old neices 'favourite' bracelet' which 'she never takes off' and was bought for her last June!! I did fix it for free (as she's my neice) but I'm not sure how long it is my resposibility!! Selina

Comment

me thinks maybe your cousin did a bit too much wear and tear!! Sounds like her hectic lifestyle could be the cause
          My Blog
          Twitter
          Facebook

Comment

Definitely sound like her workload was responsible for the breakage. These wires are tested and the one you used would require the weight of 3 and 1/2 bags of sugar before it snaps. Of course, she is your cousin, so repair it for her free of charge.
            Something Shiny Something Sparkly
            Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
            My blog
            Facebook

Comment

My partners neice bought a delicate chain mail bracelet off me a couple of years ago, she wears it day ina nd day out. During the winter she wore a fluffy sweater, snagged the bracelet on it and it came apart at one link, this has now been handed back for repair.

The fact that she had had it for over a year and then snags it on a fluffy sweater kind of got my goat but again like everyone else I have repaired it and sent it back.
              Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

And don't beat yourself up so much about it in future if something like this happens... statistically the more you make/sell, the more risk of something being returned for a whole variety of reasons that may be nothing to do with your skills. Chin up now
                Mel

Comment

That's a fair point - the more you sell the more likelihood of things breaking. I always offer a free repair service but I do get fed up when people "never take it off" and then wonder why it's broken - grr!
                  Best wishes
                  Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Look on the bright side - you feel even worse when you break things! (I sell pottery ).
                    In my experience if something is returned quckly as broken if you grit your teeth, smile sweetly on the outside, swear fiercely on the inside, and mend it for free, your customers come back for more.

AnnieAnna

Comment

I have had one or two breakages, and it makes me feel terrible everytime, even though only one of them was my fault.

One of my friends, and one of my best customers to date, has broken this one bracelet so many times I told her to throw it away. But it's her, she cleans out her rabbit in it and sleeps in it and showers in it (despite me telling her not to because it's only SP) and does housework in it and it's quite a delicate piece.

Another thing was a necklace of my mum's that I restrung for her and I did it too tight and my crimp wasn't secure enough, I just redid it and it's fine now. That was my fault, but as I'd done it as a freebie and as it was my mum it wasn't so bad, but it did just get me worrying that all my necklaces would fall apart.

The last thing was a necklace I made for a friend of my daughter's as a party gift, her little sister snapped it (I don't think my stuff is 5 year old resistant). The girl's mum had tried to repair it but hadn't been able to, so I restrung it for her and made a little necklace for the 5 year old to stop her stealing her big sister's one.

I'd rather be out of pocket than get a bad reputation as I'm only starting out. I just hope nothing awful happens to any of the jewellery I sold at the Pamper day, which was my first public sale. I'm waiting anxiously.
                      Elinor
                      x

My Misi page
                      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I'm sure that's the right way to go. Most of my Annie work comes via word of mouth.
                        Annie

Comment

Last year I had a problem with bracelets breaking and there were several reasons for this happening.

The first one was the miniscule sharp bits on the insides of the beads (as Chris mentioned) - most beads are drilled from both sides to meet in the middle (prevents them snapping during drilling) therefore, especially with India cut beads rather than China cut, they do have sharp bits which will wear at the thread and eventually break it with even the slightest pull.

The second reason was that the customer "never took it off" and I contacted Beadalon about this and they said that detergents can "corode" the nylon coating on the thread - when I asked my customer she admitted bathing with the bracelet on and also to putting her hands in bowls of water containing kitchen cleaning detergents.

I've since started using only 49 strand beadalon (in various sizes - larger for bigger beads obviously) as this tends to be the most reliable thread for the gemstone jewellery that I make. Beadalon do say that the more number of strands, the sturdier the thread. 49 strand thread is a lot more expensive than the others but I think its well worth paying the extra.
                          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                          X