Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finger prints in silver

Hi

Can any one help. I use silver art clay and make finger print pendents sometime's. Some one has said to me to use silicon moulding to get a better print. I understand how to get the print in the silicon its how I transfer it to the silver clay I am not sure about. I think that I may have to fill my finger print mould when dry with more silicon thus making a stamp is that right?

What you've been advised to make is called a "push" mould, simply all you do is press the clay into the mould, carefully peel it off and let dry as normal.

HTH
    My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
    Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

I think you pour plaster of paris into the sillicon mould which you then use to make the fingerprint. Someone else may know of a better way though.
      Best wishes
      Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

silver print

Hi, I have just been asked to do this for someone recently and was considering using the silver clay you mentioned. Do you get a good result? Do you have any pics you could post or pm me with so I can see the results?? I thought this way was alot easier than making a mould and if the resulting print looked good enough I was going to use it. What do you really think of it?? Thanks
        Ivory Bird Jewellery Blog
        Facebook Page
        Vintage Emporium Shop

Comment

The best results would normally be from a direct impression...
          Whenever you replicate something (e.g. a mould of a mould)
          there's always the potential for losing detail.....

Nic xx
          **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
          Different prize every month
          Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
          PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

finger print

Hi

Thanks for your comments. I have done a couple of finger prints using direct prints and they have come out OK. You can tell it a finger print. But as I understand it children under the age of about 18 months don't have very clear finger prints so it is better to do older children. I have been advised that I would get a better print using a mould. I am going to try this at a school fair this Friday and I will let you know how I get on. I am still unsure how to get the print from the mould to the silver.

Comment

I think some people use a technique where they take an inked impression of the fingerprint, which can then be enhanced in photoshop if desired to increase definition, and then create a photopolymer plate to imprint into the metal clay.

I know others who do the reverse impression thing with p of p, and these seem less successful, but do save the need to have the art clay and baby in the same place!
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

You could try phoning Tiranti's, say what you want to do and ask their advice - they've been supplying materials for moulding and casting since adam was a lad and I've always found them helpful.

They have all sorts of silicone and other mould materials and ultrafine casting plaster.

Alec Tiranti Ltd:
                Mail Order & Showroom:
                3 Pipers Court, Berkshire Drive,
                Thatcham, Berkshire,
                RG19 4ER, UK.
                Tel: 0845 123 2100
                Fax: 0845 123 2101
                Monday to Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
                Saturday: 9:30am - 1:00pm
                e-mail: [email protected]
                Shop also at:
                27 Warren Street, London
                W1T 5NB, UK.
                Tel: 020 7380 0808
                Fax: 020 7380 0808
                Monday to Friday: 9:00am - 5:30pm
                Saturday: 9:30am - 1:00pm
                www.tiranti.co.uk
                ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                website
                blog

Comment

Hi

We do a silicon moulding compound which is really good,
                  http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...compound-C148/ but i have a feeling that for the fingerprint jewellery they might use an even finer version, but I'm not sure.

One of the girls who works with me made a beautiful pendant with fingerprints, she just pressed the finger directly into the precious metal clay and didn't use any moulding compound at all. These worked really well, despite one person having very fine finger prints.
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                  Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

We are looking at starting do fingerprint charms etc as we are being asked for them a lot in our retail shop.

We have ordered a Kiln ,cookie cutters and already have the clay and I presume that this is all we need. We do have a fully operational workshop anyway so all hand tools, heavy equipment and polishing machines are already here.

I read above about different methods of obtaining a finger print, we are planning on a direct push into the clay as our customers will be in the shop at the time. Is there anything that we can do to harden the fingerprint prior to pushing into the clay? bearing in mind that this may involve small children.

Any information, or links to other sites would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jason
                    Mod edited signature - hand crafted website only

Comment

I had a lady come to my house to take implressions of the kids hands and feet, whilst she was here I somehow ended up getting all of their fingerprints done into charms too!

She pressed their little fingers directly into the clay and I love them, my girls were literally only weeks old when it was done and you can see some fingerprint definition on them (which surprised me as I expected them to be smudges!)

jan x
                      www.simplyisis.co.uk

www.purplesnailevents.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X