Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endcaps, hooks and other matching findings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endcaps, hooks and other matching findings.

From time to time, when I have accumulated enough very very fine straws, I make corn dolly earrings.

Picture this - but without the ears, bow and hanging loop

or more of a blob with longish plaited stalk at the top.

I thread an endcap (5mm) onto a headpin, insert the pin through the dolly (as though it were a bead) thread on another endcap; make a loop in the headpin and attach jump ring and hook.

Back in the 70s/80s the only choice was silver finish or gold/gilt finish and silver actually looked better than gold against the straw so that's what I've stuck with.

However I see that nowadays there's a wider choice of finishes so would like to try something different.

So where would I go, please, for the required findings all in the same finish - I'd like to try copper or an antiqued finish (not from ebay).

Very thin spacers are an option instead of endcaps.
    ElaineJ soap and other stuff
    website
    blog

Hi Elaine

I was scouting around for something different the other week with different finishes but had terrible trouble trying to find everything I wanted off one site. In the end i got some off e-beads.co.uk and some from spellboundbeads.co.uk (although people say these are expensive I like them). Jillybeads also have quite a few different finishes on their earwires.

Not sure that helps but just thought I'd mention them.

Cheers

Debs
    www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Thanks - I'll go take a look.
      website
      blog

Comment

I found 'antique copper' findings at bijoux beads.

Comment

Thanks Melanie - interesting beadcaps but no 4mm jumprings though; never mind I can get the rest from Spellbound.
          website
          blog

Comment

What a lovely idea Elaine! I love it when designers push boundaries and come up with interesting ideas.

Comment

I was making drop-shaped earrings and pendants for a few years before I came across a book which had other examples in; some with coiled or looped braids.

The problem with braids is that all the straw ends have to be stuck into a leaf bail, bellcap or cone - thinking about it there is a wider variety of findings today than there was 30+ years ago, will have to see what I can come up with.
              website
              blog

Comment

I've seen corn dollys before but I've never seen them being turned into jewellery, how do you prevent the straw from breaking when you bend it?

Comment

Soak it in hot water for about an hour, then wrap it in a damp cloth - best used the next day.

Here's a large one (about 81cm tall)

I did once try the hollow plait technique with wire but I couldn't get a crisp bend at the corners.
                  website
                  blog

Comment

It's very clever, how long did it take to make?

Comment

About 4 - 5 hours in total, but I don't necessarily make a big one like that all at once. The original version was a bit more complex and made as a gift for a Handfasting.
                      website
                      blog

Comment

Working...
                      X