Where did I go wrong with PMC+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did I go wrong with PMC+?

I have only recently started making small charms out of PMC (I think that the kit that I was sold had PMC+ included) and I have been enjoying playing with this wonderful new craft (well, new to me anyway!!).

However, on Sunday I was playing around again, creating a moon shaped flat charm / pendant, when it snapped after I had fired it with the torch and was burnishing it with the wire brush.

I was surprised as I was expecting the silver to be more resilient - it was almost as though it was still slightly in the clay state, quite brittle. However, I had fired it with the torch until the first little bit had started to turn silver and then removed the heat as suggested to avoid melting it.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Thanks,

Karen

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 23-03-2009, 02:08 PM. Reason: Changed title so it was more obvious it was about PMC

You didn't fire it for long enough - your description of firing would
    say to me that only the surface had sintered (turned into silver)
    The middle would still have been close to it's clay like state.

However all is not lost there are instructions for repairing your piece here
    AND some torch firing tips
    http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20016

Just to be sure I'd re-fire your other pieces too
    Nic x
    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
    Different prize every month
    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Wow! Thank you so much for a quick reply and a really helpful response. I have had a good read through the thread you pointed me towards and have found it extremely useful - you have some great tips on PMC and I really appreciate you sharing what you know.

Karen

Comment

You're welcome
        For fired metal clay repair you need to use oil paste to "glue" the pieces together.
        You'll find a "how to" here

Nic x
        Last edited by MuranoSilver; 23-03-2009, 04:23 PM.
        **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
        Different prize every month
        Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
        PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Yeah keep going hun, I had someone in the shop demo for me and they let the piece glow red for about 5 mins and every one I've did since works fine I'm waiting on my order for the shop so if you run out you know where to come for more
          Hope you get on with your next firing xx
          Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X