help with a light tent please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with a light tent please

I was planning on getting my photo chap to do me some more photos for my website cos he did such a good job last time but I've seen some really good pics on here that were taken using a light tent.
    Has anyone got any advice on which is the best one to buy? And if you've come across any real problems with them?
    Thank you x

carla jennings jewellery
    my blog
    Carla
    carla jennings jewellery
    my blog

Hiya

I bought one off ebay.Not sure if its made any difference to my pics or if they sell but I suppose its worth talking to a photo spe******t to see what they recomend.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Hi
      I bought mine for £10 from Maplins and luckily it just folds up, I dont have to wrestle it into a bag!
      Mind you I made one from white cardboard and placed near a window at college today and that seemed to work just as well!
      I think my photos are def better with it, worth trying before paying a spe******t.

Comment

I never use mine! I find the pics are very grey/blue dont like it at all.It sits in cupboard!!! I now use a box that I built with foam core (photographic backing board) you can get it from most craft stores! And like Hagar I use the window sill . Works so much better in my opinion!
        Hope you get sorted.It is so stressful trying to get rite I know
        Personally i wished i would have done this before I bought the tent etc...
        Vixxie
        Vixxie

Comment

Jewellery photography

Hi I have a ebay cheapy light box and a cubelite kit which is the full kit with lighting and both do the job. When I first tried I made a lighting kit myself from a do it yourself on lien tutorial to see if it suited my needs. Have a look at the tutorial below you can get some good results, also you can try photographing your jewellery on the windowsill in the daytime and again the results can be quite good.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=281524

One problem you have with a lighting cube is the image can look quite flat, so you just have to play around with the lighting to make sure this doesnt happen. You can also try www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm for some good tips on taking jewellery pics.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Do bear in mind that the only thing a lighting cube does is filter the light.

With a bit of imagination and a piece of muslin you can get the same effect.

The most important thing to get good pictures is getting the exposure and light right.

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Thanks guys, that's all really useful. Might give it a go.
              I'll let you know how they turn out.
              Carla

carla jennings jewellery
              my blog
              Carla
              carla jennings jewellery
              my blog

Comment

When I first started photographing jewellery I used a light box I bought off ebay, although it lit things well I couldn't get the interesting angles, I like to move around the subject, so I now use two flash heads and enjoy greater versatility. They didn't cost much and I can also use them for large objects and portraits.
                Chris W.
                x
                Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

All new to me!

I'd never heard of a light box before - but it certainly sounds interesting and I might check it out.

I improvise with a piece of Christmas wrapping paper used back to front (ie the white side). Because it comes as a roll I can blu-tack it to the wall and have it run down and across a table. This gives me a backdrop with a nice smooth 'flow' (if that makes sense). For lighting I use a table lamp at the side. Can have a bit of a yellow cast but I tinker with it in iPhoto before putting on site.
                  Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Comment

omg my light tent arrived today and nearly gave me heart failure as it flew out of the bag and popped itself upI wrestled it back in and am too scared to open it again!!!!!
                    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Working...
                    X