Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretch bracelets

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM.

Stretch bracelets sell really well in my shop and I make them a variety of widths. Some customers like them slack and others tightish, wrist sizes vary quite a bit. I would avoid using beads with sharpish edges and suggest trying a variety of elastics, the hole of the bead will determine the width and the stronger the better so up to 1mm if you can. If you tie the elastic well it doesn't come undone so you don't need to add glue. Leave yourself extra so that you can firmly grip the end without lack of control as the knotting bit is quite tricky and sometimes if you pull too hard on thinner elastic it breaks.
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I suspect the glue you're thinking of is GS Hypo Cement - a really good allround jewellery glue. Not strong enough for bails etc, but excellent for elastic because it's flexible.

Never use superglue, which will make the elastic brittle and liable to snap.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I have made loads of bracelets with beads larger than 10mm on elastic and no glue that have survived over a year without breaking, I know this as most of my customers are local to my shop and I repair items free of charge. After few years the elastic gets brittle and may snap or stretch. You need to use good quality 1mm thick for large beads or use the elastic that looks hairy when frayed, (forget name) double thickness. In warm temperatures the elastic resists knotting so keep it cool, if knotted correctly it doesn't come undone in my experience. The thing to look out for is beads that could cut the elastic when bracelet is being taken on or off, I would avoid metal beads unless edges are smooth.
        Chris W.
        x

Comment

I've never really figured out how to make good elastic bracelets. Chris, you say there's no need for glue if the elastic is knotted correctly; could you explain the correct way to knot elastic as I've always struggled with this. I usually end up knotting it so many times that I end up with a monster knot which looks awful because I'm so worried it'll come undone!

Comment

I generally use a regular surgeon's knot (like a reef knot but with an extra turn on the second half). If I'm really determined that it should be extra secure, then a double surgeon's!

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php
            george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I don't use a special knot but I have strong fingers and hands after many years of using them, if you tie the elastic with the right degree of force it seems to meld together. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of it and its a good idea to double check it is firmly tied by giving it a careful tug.
              Chris W.
              x

Comment

I've just made loads of chunky stretch bracelets today using elastic I purchased from Hobbycraft, black, white and pink. I just tie a double knot an it's secure enough.
                BCandy (aka BJewellery)
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://BJewellery.misi.me.uk

http://busymitts.com/people/BJewellery/projects

Comment

I've never made elastic bracelets before (not sure why!) but I have a fair next week and thought I'd make some kids ones. Having no kids myself, what length do you think they should be when made up, ie the beaded part? Selina

Comment

5.5-6" for kids, 7-8.5" for adults.

I make 6.5-7" ones for myself as I have thin wrists, but I find that they don't fit other people

hth
                    www.beadlab.com

Comment

Working...
                    X