Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to make my first cufflinks!

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM.

Good luck with the cufflinks,
    dont forget to show us when they are made..

(such a lovely gift, he'll treasure them im sure)
    Sarah

Comment

Aww he is going to love them as they are made especially for him!
      You can buy sterling cufflink blanks - I use SP ones for my glass work but if you are using Art clay or PMC and it's a special prezzie get some sterling ones.
      Then perhaps cut a square of art clay and then place a smaller square on top and texture it. Very simple but elegant - and no being laughed out the office. You would need to solder the pmc onto the cufflink blank but then I am stating the obvious there - sorry!
      Please show us what you do come up with
      Terry xxx
      You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
      Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

If you solder onto the back of silver clay, make sure you burnish the piece well as silver clay is quite porous and will soak up the solder.
        Best wishes
        Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I made my cufflinks with beads and there was no laughing in the office! i would even make cufflinks in pink, to design id rather be a setter than a follower!

i thik cufflinks usually look manly unless theyre too big, has to be wearable. I bought fimo ones before i made jewellery, gave it a go handmade a couple for my friends sold one.

sterling silver blanks cost around £5 starting.
          http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
          http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

I made some sterling silver ones at my silver smithing course for my husband, see photo here.
            You could do something very similar in art clay. I bought the ss backs from Cooksons.
            Post a photo when you have done them.

Comment

Originally posted by RenataHarris View Post
              I made my cufflinks with beads and there was no laughing in the office! i would even make cufflinks in pink, to design id rather be a setter than a follower!
              My pink glass cufflinks have been very popular, I have to make some more now once the blanks arrive!
              Terry xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                I made some sterling silver ones at my silver smithing course for my husband, see photo here.
                You could do something very similar in art clay. I bought the ss backs from Cooksons.
                Post a photo when you have done them.
                These are the type of cufflinks I was trying to explain in a rather clumsy way. Hagar these are lovely!
                Terry xxx

Comment

I made some great silver lego cufflinks for my husband with 'cast' PMC. I used PMC moulding compound stuff. It's like two different colours of special playdough stuff which you mix together and then press a lego brick (or whatever) into to make a mould of any depth and leave it to set for a few minutes. Take the lego brick (or whatever) out and then you squish PMC into the hollow take it out very carefully and leave it to dry, fire it as usual and hey presto you have your own really good silver lego brick (or whatever ... hehe.) Works a treat and looks super professional. I got a small amount of the stuff off ebay because I wasn't sure how often I'd use it. But I love the stuff! The cufflinks got lots of admiration in the office ... men eh? Big kids!
                  www.belovedly.co.uk
                  www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
                  www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

[/quote](Don't worry, I'm not gonna make some lego ones, lol)[/quote]

Don't blame you! ...not what I'd be wanting to wear either! But hub is a big lego fan so .....
                    www.belovedly.co.uk
                    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Hmm... wonder what I did wrong with the quote function there!
                      www.belovedly.co.uk
                      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

PMC pressed onto a well oiled old cuircuit board perhaps
                        **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                        Different prize every month
                        Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                        PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Ohhh sounds good! And no I hadn't taken it that way at all, don't worry
                          www.belovedly.co.uk
                          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

And thanks for the quote info ... I knew it'd be something simple .... Duh!
                            www.belovedly.co.uk
                            www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

I personally would choose the solid ones as think the chain ones are probably only good for a very light design or a stiff cuffed shirt!

Comment

Working...
                              X