Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chillibun
    replied
    I'd agree with mizgeorge - 0.8mm would work for 3mm jump rings but I'd say use 1mm for anything bigger if you want them to be sturdy. And definitely use half hard wire as opposed to soft.

Leave a comment:

• ShinySilver
    replied
    I use .7 or .8 for ear wires but as I tend to solder jump rings I sometimes use wire as fine as .6 - you get a lovely effect and the soldered ends strengthens then whole.

Leave a comment:

• nottschris
    replied
    I've just started making my own earing wires and jump rings, I used 0.8mm and it works really well.

Leave a comment:

• mizgeorge
    replied
    Are you talking about inner or outer diameter of rings?

0.8mm is fine up to about 3mm id (4.6mm outer diameter), but over that, if you want them to be strong enough to use singly, you need to go for 1mm (18ga) or even thicker for the larger sizes. If you want them to be stronger still, forge them lightly with a hammer before use.

I'd also recommend using half hard wire for the 0.8mm. Soft temper is fine for 1mm and above, and will work harden as well.

Leave a comment:

• Endeva
    replied
    Just to add to this, 0.8mm would be 20 gauge

Leave a comment:

• glowjo
    replied
    Hiya

I would go for 0.8mm. 3mm jump rings would probably be a little difficult with the 1mm wire but 0.8 should allow you to do 3mm - 7mm.

Good luck

Jo

Leave a comment:

• Hagar
    replied
    I would probably use 0.8mm or 1mm thick wire. Not tried it myself but have made clasps and s-links using 0.8 before and they work well.

Leave a comment:

• helenvictoria
    started a topic Sterling silver wire gauges

Sterling silver wire gauges

I have just bought myself a jump ring mandrel and am wondering what gauge of wire would be best to use for sturdy jumprings ranging from 3mm to 7mm?

Helen x
Working...
X