Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Glue For Memory Wire!!

Hi,

Anyone recommend a good glue for fixing end beads to memory wire.

Cheers
    Linda

Hi.
    Not sure I can recommend yet, still totally bemused by what I can and can't do. I use G.S Hypo Cement and it seems okay, but I do glue the beads to the wire at about 10mm back and once dry add a few more beads and glue on the end cap. I really worry that if the end comes off there will be hundreds of little beads being showered around.
    I love making memory wire bracelets and although I only started beading in October sold 10 pre-christmas.
    Interested to see how others reply.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by Di-Ce Beads View Post
      Hi.
      Not sure I can recommend yet, still totally bemused by what I can and can't do. I use G.S Hypo Cement and it seems okay, but I do glue the beads to the wire at about 10mm back and once dry add a few more beads and glue on the end cap. I really worry that if the end comes off there will be hundreds of little beads being showered around.
      I love making memory wire bracelets and although I only started beading in October sold 10 pre-christmas.
      Interested to see how others reply.

Di.
      Hey Di thanks for that, I was thinking of the GS H Cem. but just wanted opinions cause like you would like to think of the beads flying everywhere and wasn't sure about the GS H Cem with wire!!

Keep those responses coming!!

Cheers
      Linda

Comment

Hi Linda, I never had any success with glueing end caps onto memory wire, I have only tried Hypo Cement. I gave up and just bend the ends round with round nosed pliers, it works a treat and guarantees the beads stay in place. I have heard that E6000 will stick anything.
        Elinor
        x

My Misi page
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I have tried a few glues including hypo cement and gave up. I just use the round nosed pliers.
          Janice Phoenixjewellery from

http://www.phoenixfabrics.co.uk
          http://phoenixjewellery.blogspot.com/
          http://phoenixbridal.blogspot.com/
          http://bernie-bear.blogspot.com

Comment

Same here.
            Tried Hypo-cement, superglue and one other that I can't remember the name of, and all were miserable failures.
            The hypo cement seemed like it was working and a few days after it had set I gave it an experimental tug to check and the end caps still fell off!
            I am never going to use glue again as I just don't feel it is secure enough.
            I will be sticking to bending the ends with round nosed pliers from now on. You can always add a dangle/bead to the end to finish it off nicely.
            Louise

x

Comment

Me too!!! Bought loads of memory wire end caps and then never used them as they didn't stay put! If anyone does know a great glue that does the job please let me know. I bend the ends round with pliers and hang a bead off it so they look pretty.

Jo
              Joanna
              Joanna Marie Jewellery

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much for all of your responses, I do use the round nose pliers and dangle beads but I really like the look of bead end caps for certain designs so please, if anyone does have success with these can you let us know as looks like a few others have had the same problem.

Linda

Comment

Best glue for memory wire

Erm, I use superglue to fix the beads to the end & out of the 300 ish bracelets I've made, I've only known 2 bracelets to come apart. Don't know if that is down to luck but I find using glue easier than having to fiddle with pliers to turn the end of the wire.

Comment

Beadalon Beadfix

Done a bit more research and come up with Beadalon Beadfix, anyone used it successfully with memory wire?????

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Linda60 View Post
                      Done a bit more research and come up with Beadalon Beadfix, anyone used it successfully with memory wire?????

Linda
                      Beadalon Beadfix now on order - will let you know if I have any success!!!!

Linda

Comment

Ditto above.....Beadfix by Beadalon is an instant glue recommended for Memory wire ends.

I stock it if anyone else is looking for it

Debbie
                        www.beadservice.net
                        On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I've always used superglue as well & never had any problems.
                          Caz

www.pearlsandwhirls.co.uk

www.pearlsandwhirls.blogspot.com

Comment

I've been trying to attach glass pearls to memory wire to make floating bracelets and happened across this thread while trying to work out the best method. I tried crimps but I don't think they're going to stay on. I'm longing to know whether Beadfix is the answer! Any news?
                            http://companies.to/beckyharrisjewellery/

Comment

I would 100% recommend Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy. We did tests on this vs E6000 and G S Hypo cement (which we also stock) and Devcon is definately the superior and stronger glue. The thing with it is that it will fill gaps (unlike superglue) and dries clear in 5 minutes. With memory wire bracelets you definately don't want the beads flying off unexpectedly or you'll end up with a very unhappy customer!

I would also recommend scratching up the end of the wire a little on some fine sandpaper to rough it up a bit before glueing, this will give the glue something to grip too and ensure it sticks really well.

Just a word of warning to those using super glue - it is a good glue but not for jewellery assembly like this. It doesn't fill gaps (it needs no air between the surfaces to set properly) and it goes brittle over time so any knocks (such as wearing a bracelet and it knocking onto the desk while your typing etc) could weaken it.

I would definately go for Devcon - another great thing about it is that it is dry in 5 minutes.

Hannah
                              WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
                              Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Working...
                              X