Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kinks!!

hi all,
    i have made my first necklace which i just strung a load of tiny beads onto some wire (i dont know the correct name of the beads or which wire i used althoug the wire is very thin and bendy) and although i was quite pleased with it overall it doesnt keep its shape,
    not sure if any of you will really understand from that description what i mean lol, but i cant post pictures yet!
    it sort of doesnt sit right iykwim and i was wondering if its because of the wire or because it only had the tiny beads on it,
    my 5 year old daughter is wearing it at the mo and she is most pleased with it but i'd like to know the cause of this for the future
    thanks in advance if any one can answer
    emma
    emma

blog http://enfysangel.blogspot.com/

You can put pics in an album on your member page. It would really help to know what you strung the beads on to. Is it actual wire or is is bead stringing wire? If it's real wire then that's not ideal for stringing, if you used tiger tail then kinks do happen.
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Hi Emma

Congrats on creating your first necklace!

The jewellery experts in here Im sure will share thier wisdom with you.

Good luck... cant wait for you to be able to post piccies, I bet it looks great!
      Sarah

Comment

hi did you use tiger tail??? I found using it that the jewellery would kink and not hang right. I now use beadalon which is fantasic although more expensive, but worth it for a quality finish. Any beading web will sell it, and you will find it to be sronger and easier to use.
        Hope this helps!

Was it seed beads you used?
        samantha x

Comment

thanks for the replys all,
          yes think it was seed beeds, i just bought a tube from the local craft shop and a little pack of wire, but in my excitement i've put them all in my craft box and threw the tube and packet away so cant really remember what the proper names of either was, duh!!!!!
          i will have to invest in some more wire i think,there is so much choice and for a beginner its just so confusing but also i suppose this is how i'll learn
          emma
          emma

blog http://enfysangel.blogspot.com/

Comment

I sounds as if the wire is too stiff for the weight of beads which can be the case with basic Tigertail,

There are loads of grades and diameters of wire, and with price tags to match.

But as a generall rule, the more strands with wire consists of the better the drape you will get. e.g a 49 strand wire, has much better drape than a 7 strand wire.

Also the diameter of the wire can make a difference. If you'e using small beads then you might only need 0.012" or 0.015" diameter

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Originally posted by Emmalyne View Post
              thanks for the replys all,
              yes think it was seed beeds, i just bought a tube from the local craft shop and a little pack of wire, but in my excitement i've put them all in my craft box and threw the tube and packet away so cant really remember what the proper names of either was, duh!!!!!
              i will have to invest in some more wire i think,there is so much choice and for a beginner its just so confusing but also i suppose this is how i'll learn
              emma
              Hi Emmalyne,
              I am fairly new to this to but have started to learn. It takes a while... I have started to keep a record, using a small indexed book, soI get my beads and other stuff from as I have found there is often a real difference in quality and not always the price
              Good luck!
              Debra
              Much love,
              Deb

www.debrajacksondesigns.com

Comment

Working...
              X