PMC rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMC rings

Just a quick question to the people who know - how hard-wearing are PMC rings? I've got some ideas in mind, but wouldn't want my ring to fall apart after the 1st week/month of wear!

I don't wear my current rings in the bath/shower/pool/gym/doing the dishes....
    "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
    Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
    http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Fine silver isn't as hard as sterling so you do need to bear that in mind when designing.

They need to be made thicker (I usually make them 1.5mm thick), and I would definitely recommend a long kiln firing, followed by a couple of hours at least in the tumbler.

HTH, feel free to fire any other questions at me!

Becci
    x
    PMC Certification Modules in Cheshire - www.firedsilver.co.uk

Comment

Tumbler..... I want to set a stone into it - so that might be a problem right?
      "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James

Comment

Originally posted by Madly Creating View Post
        Tumbler..... I want to set a stone into it - so that might be a problem right?
        What sort of stone? Do you mean a fireable one? If so, then they're fine in the tumbler

Comment

Showing my ignorance here.... what is a 'fireable' stone? I'm probably going to go for a lab-created sapphire...

Comment

This is a ring I made with lots of coloured stones. They are all synthetic stones and are able to be fired in place in the clay. So I made a plain ring band, then set all of the stones on top, then fired the whole thing.

If you mean this type of stone then they are fine in the tumbler.

oops, it wouldn't let me post the link in!! If you go to my album you'll see the ring in there.

Alternatively, you can set stones after firing, and then I tumble the ring first, then set the stone afterwards

Becci

Comment

I make a lot of rings but always explain that they are not as strong as sterling silver rings. As a pure metal Fine silver doesn't have the strength of an alloy like sterling silver.
              So when designing a ring in PMC or Art clay silver you need to follow a few guidelines....

1) Make the ring thicker to add strength (most times at least 6 cards thick).
              2) If you can then re-inforce the join by adding any decorative elements on top of it
              3) Fire it long & hot ideally in a kiln for at least an hour.
              I fire at 750 for 2 hours to make extra sure...

I generally test their strength after firing, on a ring mandrel.
              Whacking them into shape is a great test, lol.
              Personally I wouldn't recommend hob firing for rings as it just doesn't get hot enough to fully sinter.

Torch firing can work but as the temperature is controlled by eye results can vary.

For those that dont have a Kiln
              Maybe you could try these?
              http://www.metalclayfindings.com/rings.aspx
              They're fine silver ring liners that you build your ring on top of - then you could torch fire it...they're an American company but it might be worth the £££'s

Hope that helps

Nic xx
              Last edited by MuranoSilver; 19-02-2009, 12:35 PM. Reason: added ring liner suggestion :)
              **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
              Different prize every month
              Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
              PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

You are both stars! Thanks. I would have to find someone with a kiln nearby (no idea about that!) so will probably have to take a look at those ring liners...

thanks again!

Comment

If you packaged them in cotton wool and paid for postage, I'd be happy to fire them for you with my next kiln load & send them back to you.
                  The kiln goes on at least once a week - and at Christmas it's on almost daily lol....
                  Nic x

Comment

Originally posted by Madly Creating View Post
                    You are both stars! Thanks. I would have to find someone with a kiln nearby (no idea about that!) so will probably have to take a look at those ring liners...

thanks again!
                    I'm pretty sure that Argentice sell the ring liners - they're the UK distributor for Metal Clay Findings.

I'm happy to kiln fire for you, just PM me if you need anything doing.

Rebecca

Comment

http://www.argentice.co.uk/shop/4mm-...7-1-ring-.html

They do - although I can't work out if they sell my size, so I'm going to have to ask!

Comment

This might help - it's UK to approx USA equivalent
                        L 6
                        M 6 1/2
                        N 7
                        O 7 1/2
                        P 8
                        Q 8 1/2
                        R 8 3/4
                        S 9 1/2
                        T 9 3/4

Nic x

Comment

Thanks - but they're all too big! I think I wear a UK J on my ring finger... wanna bet they don't make them that small...

Comment

If you get stuck with the bands, let me know and I'll send you a ring pellet. If you do a web search for Hatties Patties you'll see what they are, but I make my own.

Basically, you put them inside the ring during firing and the ring can only shrink as far as the pellet (which is the right ring size for your finger), because the ring can't shrink any further you get a perfect size ring!

Becci
                            x

Comment

You're a legend! By the time I have the skills to make the ring, I'll have all the answers right here in this thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X