Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To jig or not to jig!

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM.

i use one - i used it to make the heart on my avatar, I wish id bought a better one thought, i only bought like a starter one thats plastic, so get a decent metal one if youre getting one

ive also used it to make a butterfly
    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I have one but don't use it very often. I prefer using my trusty round nosed pliers. I am planning to make some wire chains and I'm sure it will come in handy for those as the links need to match exactly.
      The ones with the plastic pegs are not as sturdy as the ones with metal pegs, the plastic pegs tend to move under pressure. I bought an acrylic one with metal pegs for under £10 and it works just as well as the expensive ones.

Melanie

Comment

Good luck with the jiggin'

I thought you were about to ask if you should go out dancing tonight or not lol

(As you can tell Im not up on the jewellery scene )
        Sarah

Comment

You can make your own jig with a piece of wood and some nails. Saw the heads off the nails after you've hammered them in and voila!
          Best wishes
          Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

That pearl heart is beautiful, didnt realise u used a jig with it

Um for wirework i think its best to use sterling silver wire, i spent ages on some pieces- ageeeeeeeesss and theyre dull now so i cant sell them and will break them apart to use the pearls etc
            http://www.justgiving.com/renata-harris (1/2 marathons for World Society for the Protection of Animals)
            http://flashsparkle.blogspot.com Vegan cookery

Comment

Originally posted by RenataHarris View Post

Um for wirework i think its best to use sterling silver wire, i spent ages on some pieces- ageeeeeeeesss and theyre dull now so i cant sell them and will break them apart to use the pearls etc
              Get a silver polishing cloth - is brilliant on tarnished silver and sp, i also use it on all my findings before I make anything.

I bought a cheap plastic jig and didnt get on with it so never 'upgraded'. I too use what ever is at hand instead or just free form shapes.

Comment

Like you I tend to use whatever is around to form a shape, but I do have a metal jig and its great when you want to make a lot of the same shape, but I could live without it

Comment

I have one of the acrylic ones, and then I treated myself to a metal one, and I love it, I do some free form, but when I need them all the same it comes in very useful.

Head over to the Wigjig site, they have loads of ideas on shapes and things on there, plus patterns etc. I think it's www.wigjig.com all the patterns etc are in the University bit.
                  www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Hi

Hi i have use wire jigs i dont like them there is all the tools you can use rather than wire jigs that are much easyer .....christine ....

Comment

I too have used a jig but prefer to use general household objects to shape my wire. A carpenter's pencil makes nice jump rings for instance then hammered they look good.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                      X