Trying to make wire pendants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make wire pendants

Ok, been playing tonight with my copper wire, practising making a pendant out of it and a few beads - does this technique have a name?

Anyway, what do you think?? It's about 4cm diameter

Bit wonky (struggling with that!), but not too bad. I'm happy with the wrapping round the loop, Lol!

Sorry about the shocking picture, just took it in the indoor light.

copper wire

I like the pendant - and i don't see anything wonky! Looks great, and what a nifty idea!

We had to have our pump replaced about a year ago, and the drillers started to hoist the spool of 400 feet of copper wiring that they pulled up with the old pump, onto their truck...I said, hey wait a minute, I think we want to keep that! They grinned and put it back on the ground...I have never gotten around to stripping any of the plastic off of it yet - am I right in supposing there is terrific craft material in there?? Had only thought of wire sculptures - dragonflies and scorpions....and fancy bubble wands with glass beads...just stuff I have seen around here in shops. But hmmm...maybe I could try my hand at wire goat figures.

I'm always trying to relate everything to my dairy goats - so maybe I should try making a little copper wire goat...hmmm....or maybe a crescent moon with a little goat sitting on it....

My big question is how do you get rid of sharp ends!? Obviously i have no experience with wire! Do you just loop it around to "hide" the cut end, or do you file it or heat it to sort of melt the sharpness away?

Comment

Ooooh, thats pretty!

Are there any tutorials people can recommend on things like this?

Thanks.
      Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
      http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

Comment

Copper wire

Well I use a lot of copper wire.

Mainly the thicker wires, because it tends to be softer than sterling silver.

It's a great medium to learn techniques with (especially when its free).

I think I bought about 3m of the 1mm and 1.5mm wire when I started my course and its now all gone.

edited to add

The ends? yes I tend to sand those down to soft so they dont catch. I tend to use them now in amongst my wood and copper leaves so that they dont touch the skin.
        Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
          I'm not a fan of copper colours but like it! The colours work so well together.

The wrapping on the edges is VERY neat, I guess you've done it before. (I struggle with that one at times!) The top bit isn't that bad - I churn out far worse, lol. I have to seriously concentrate to get a perfect one!

Are the two lines joined together where they cross over? Looks pretty either way, just being nosy lol

Dunno what it's officially called, mind you. I just call it wirework.
          Thanks everyone.

I'm only using copper to practise, not something I would normally use myself. Only started to use wire this year, so glad you think it looks neat!!

I did join them together where they meet by wrapping it round once - not sure if that is right, but it seems to keep it in place better.

I'll practise loads more, want to make really unusual shapes, and can't seem to buy them, so thought I would make them!!

Comment

It's really nice, the color of the copper match perfectly

Website - www.cherryblossomjewellerydesigns.co.uk
            Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Blossom-Jewellery-Designs/127033020677024

Comment

Hi

Hi ya staceylew yes there is a name for it its wire sculpture ... it looks lovely keep trying ok .... monet

Comment

I really like it, your wrapping is very neat and I like the design.
                If you make the basic ring and then harden it before you do the wrapping at the top and then add the middle beads it may help to keep the ring in shape better.
                I put the shapes between the pages of a notebook and then tap with a hammer, so it doesn't get marked.

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
                  I really like it, your wrapping is very neat and I like the design.
                  If you make the basic ring and then harden it before you do the wrapping at the top and then add the middle beads it may help to keep the ring in shape better.
                  I put the shapes between the pages of a notebook and then tap with a hammer, so it doesn't get marked.

Melanie
                  Thanks for that - How do you harden it though??

Stacey

Comment

Sorry, I didn't put that very clearly.
                    Wire will harden up when you are bending it but if it is a simple shape that is not bent very much it needs to be hammered.
                    To harden the wire I put the shapes between the pages of a notebook about 8-10 pages down so the wire doesn't get marked and then tap the top of the book with a hammer. Lots of small taps will harden easily rather that hefty whacks.

Melanie

Comment

Working...
                    X