Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bight pink gemstones?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bight pink gemstones?

    Hi,

    I am thinking of making a special range jewellery to sell (alongside my normal stuff) with the profits (or a percentage of the sale price) going to charity. I'm diabetic so I thought I'd do it for Diabetes UK. Their logo is a bright pink hummingbird so I was going to use some hummingbird charms and pink beads, etc. The only thing is that most of my jewellery is made with natural materials and gemstones and would like to carry this on in this range too. I can't find any gemstones which are a bright pink colour, only dull (rhodonite) or pale pink (rose quartz). Does anyone have any suggestions?

    The Diabetes UK website is diabetes.org.uk (I'm not allowed to post proper website links as I've not made 25 posts yet) to give you an idea of the kind of colour

    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    if you do a search on ebay for bright pink beads, you'll get loads of ideas
    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

    Comment


    • #3
      I just found this by googling:

      http://jewelry.hsn.com/victoria-wiec...339886_xp.aspx

      and it's a pretty good colour match for the diabetes website! I have no idea how easy it is to get hold of raspberry tourmaline or how much it costs though!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Calcite, you can find this stone ( or mineral if you want to be exact) in many colors in nature, but it is often dyed very bright, has been for many centuries so is accepted as a gemstone.
        If you want to be a purest the only ones I can think of are rhodochrosite and rhodonite both naturaly pink to red in colour both will come expensive for nice quality beads, and may take some finding.
        Going over the top, pink Opal!! Only seen good examples of this once, very nice but the price-------- SCARY

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by claireybear View Post
          I just found this by googling:

          http://jewelry.hsn.com/victoria-wiec...339886_xp.aspx

          and it's a pretty good colour match for the diabetes website! I have no idea how easy it is to get hold of raspberry tourmaline or how much it costs though!!!
          If you find tourmaline, any color at a reasonable price ,let me know, I can sell it all day long, got plenty of rough which the healers buy, but its hard to find good enough quality to cut to beads,

          Comment


          • #6
            Flamingo pink topaz:

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200306826829

            (sorry, it's ebay.com not ebay.co.uk but it's just for an idea of the colour really!)

            Comment


            • #7
              Pink sapphires! You can get lab created ones for next to nothing and they're hot pink... or you can get small natural ones for a good price, from what I can remember....
              "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
              Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
              http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks everyone. I'm off to have good look for all the suggestions and see if I can get hold of an of them. I thought I might be looking for something which didn't exist!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I hope you find something, it is a really good idea to have a range for charity, especially one that is important to you.

                  You could always use swarovski crystals as well as / instead of gemstones if you cant get anything else suitable, they come in loads of colours!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by claireybear View Post
                    Flamingo pink topaz:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200306826829

                    (sorry, it's ebay.com not ebay.co.uk but it's just for an idea of the colour really!)
                    Heres a tip, when a stone is decribed as "natural" if the natural does not come imediataly before the stones name, but before the color, then the stone will not be "natural" and most likely man made "lab created" but the color will be "natural pink"
                    I was offered some "authentic red rubys" a while back, when I tapped one with the hammer and it shattered as glass does, all the guy could say was "yes but their authentic red color"
                    Lab created stones should not cost you more than a few US dollors each, and then they must be perfect
                    And you cant trust an overseas E-bay site, no matter how good it looks, weve found that out the hard way!!
                    Last edited by urbtaf; 10-02-2009, 12:23 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi clarita,

                      Pink is my trademark colour so I have made it my point to find every pink gemstone thats available. If you want a bright colour I suggest going for dyed Jade which is a gorgeous bright colour. I get the round beads from pj beads and the faceted shapes from beadworks.
                      Hope this helps


                      Originally posted by Clarita View Post
                      Hi,

                      I am thinking of making a special range jewellery to sell (alongside my normal stuff) with the profits (or a percentage of the sale price) going to charity. I'm diabetic so I thought I'd do it for Diabetes UK. Their logo is a bright pink hummingbird so I was going to use some hummingbird charms and pink beads, etc. The only thing is that most of my jewellery is made with natural materials and gemstones and would like to carry this on in this range too. I can't find any gemstones which are a bright pink colour, only dull (rhodonite) or pale pink (rose quartz). Does anyone have any suggestions?

                      The Diabetes UK website is diabetes.org.uk (I'm not allowed to post proper website links as I've not made 25 posts yet) to give you an idea of the kind of colour

                      Thanks in advance!
                      Vixxie




                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is something I've been wanting, as I'm quite into bright pink, so am busy checking out the suggestion here too.

                        You could also try agate - I've seen lots of bright pink sliced agate pendants that are rather good. They are dyed, but still pretty good!

                        Let us know what you end up using!

                        X
                        Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
                        http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I know you want a natural stone but pink candy jade (its dyed) is a brilliant pink. We've found it to be quite popular and with the variety of cuts you may find the creative possibilities a good seller.

                          URBTAF - thanks for the hat tip on the 'natural'. Learn something everyday on this forum
                          Last edited by glasgowmike; 10-02-2009, 07:47 PM.
                          Mike, The Bead Company
                          www.thebead.co.uk
                          7 Keith Street
                          Glasgow G11 6QQ
                          Find us on www.facebook.com/thebeadcompanyglasgow

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yup..I agree, the only hot pink in a semi-precious bead is dyed Candy Jade. Nature just doesn't make these colours naturally.

                            Debbie
                            www.beadservice.net
                            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X