Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder

Hi,
    I do a lot of leathercraft work,but recently ive needed to add a chain to my leather items,im having problems getting my chain soldered,im using an everyday solder iron and the Solder that came with it,which is mainly for soldering wiring,but the chain where i soldered seem to be very weak,i was wondering s there a special solder for soldering chains.
    Chain Info: 10mm Continuous Silver Plated Curb Chain
    Help
    Garry
    Last edited by lonewolf; 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM.

Hmm If you were using sterling silver chain, I'd suggest using a butane gas mini-torch and actual silver solder, rather than the electricians iron and solder.
    10mm is very chunky, not surprised the soldering has been weak.

I don't know what you'd use on silver plated chain, maybe someone else could shed some light?
    My Website: http://www.endevajewellery.co.uk
    Twitter: EndevaJewellery

Comment

Chains really need brazing (with a torch) rather than an iron, unless you have access to a laser!

The trouble with this, is that silver plating tends to be destroyed by the flame.

I only work with sterling, and that would be my recommendation, but it may be more expensive than you're looking for. The other option would be to go for a heavier weight chain in stainless steel, which is strong enough to work with unsoldered links. This would be what I'd use for large ring maille, or riveted rings as an alternative.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
      george
      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Originally posted by mizgeorge View Post
        Chains really need brazing (with a torch) rather than an iron, unless you have access to a laser!
        Lasers don't like silver either

I'm not aware of any way that you can successfully solder plated chains. As Mizgeorge quite rightly says, the plating will be destroyed, ie burn off druing the process
        www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas,maybe i would better going along the lines of Silver or Stainless.
          Does anyone know where i can get Silver chain that i can cut to my own length and around 8mm or 10mm.
          Cheers
          Garry

Comment

I get my chain from Cooksongold. There's a lot of variety.
            Best wishes
            Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Cookson Gold or Rashbel for Sterling.

I don't know what sort of lengths you're looking for, but for steel, you may find it worth simply getting jumprings and making them up as needed. Alternatively, you can get some nice (and very strong) steel chains from hardware stores. These certainly wouldn't need soldering.
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
              X