Fimo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fimo...

I've been experimenting with fimo (beads/pendants) but am having trouble putting a hole for stringing through without it deforming the whole thing - does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks!
    Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
    http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

Hiya
    I dont know much about fimo but what about letting it air dry a bit first? Think you do that with PMC before putting holes in (from what I have read)?
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you

Comment

I make the holes before I bake the fimo as I find thats the best way for me.

Pauline
      Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Do you mean that you are making beads and then trying to pierce holes in them before baking?

What are you using to make holes? Try twisting a little as you poke it through, this may assist in the deformation.
        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I use a cocktail stick and gently twist as I push it through. When it's baked I sand it down. I've drilled holes too, but decided it was a bit dangerous using a massive dril, originally meant for boring holes in walls! It worked but I wouldn't recommend it.
          Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

I usually drill holes in my beads after giving them their "first bake" I then sand them lightly before giving them a second go in my kiln. I then varnish them and give them another quick firing to "set" the glaze. Works fine for me.
            http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

You could try putting them in the fridge to "harden" them up a bit, it might reduce the deformation
              nic x
              **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
              Different prize every month
              Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
              PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

jus wondering do you use that plastic bead making thing ?? if so are they any good ?

Comment

Iv got a really sharp pointy metal thing that seems to work quite well!!!!

I have got no idea what it is called - I bought it as a set of pottery tools (not very expensive) just because I wanted this pointy thing!

Comment

piggintracy:

I've got "that plastic bead making thing" (loving the technical term, tho thats pretty much what i'd call it)... It does the job, tho i end up squishing the beads when I try and put a hole thro them (hence this thread!) but i dont find it especially user friendly. I think perhaps it should be a bit longer and have clips to make it stay together or something - maybe try and pick up a 2nd hand one on ebay?

I dont hv a kiln, just use an oven, nor am i sophisticated enuff to hv a drill. But i think i will try putting them in the fridge for a bit first before piercing them (may accidentally on purpose forget to tell OH i am puttng fimo in the fridge, lol).

My main problem is longitudinal holes on pretty flat pieces, as I just end up with an unsightly ridge which isnt quite the look i'm going for!

I use either a pin or a cocktail stick, but sounds like i'm on the right track! Will keep trying, thanks for all the help guys! X
                    Please visit my website - forum members discount details on offers thread!
                    http://www.silverjewellerydesigns.com/

Comment

you'll always get that ridge on flat beads as you're displacing the fimo. Definitely best thing to do would be to drill them once thay've been baked
                      www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

don`t know if its the same thing, but with silver clay i just marked where the hole would be then when dry used a hand held drill bit before firing to make the hole.
                        murano silver will be able to tell you better than i can
                        sally

Comment

Working...
                        X