Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help-Pearls on wire

Hi,

I'm new here and wondered how people manage to thread freshwater pearls onto headpins/eyepins. I've seen loads of examples of people's jewellery where they have done this but the pearls don't fit onto even the thin headpins I have as their holes are too small. Do people buy thin wire specially and make their own headpins? The wire never looks overly thin in people's photos.

Thanks in advance. I'd be grateful to know what you do when using pearls.

I'd recommend getting a pearl reamer and enlarging the holes rather than using thinner and thinner wire to fit!

I use one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...36da46fff03d29

which works very well.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I have used 0.4mm wire or 0.6mm wire - both are quite thin but work ok so long as you dont 'twist' to much. You can try to make the holes bigger but if you have a lot I'd find that a bit laborious.
      Mel

Comment

ive never had a problem threading pearls on wire at all, maybe you need to get some from a different supplier?
        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I've got Sterling Silver head pins in 0.41mm diameter. I would think they would be thin enough

Debbie
          www.beadservice.net
          On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

If you're wanting to make earrings with them then try threading them onto a bit of beading thread and making a loop (to attach to wires) and crimping top and bottom.
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I use a bead reamer but agree it's a bit tedious. I think it depends what you want to use them for. Thin wire is OK for earrings but on something like a bracelet, they'll break off in no time.
              Best wishes
              Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

pearls are quite soft and ream fairly easy if you have loads to do why not just sit watching the tv with them on your lap and ream away while watching the telly

Comment

Working...
                X