Accent Gold for Fine silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accent Gold for Fine silver

Right - so I HATE Aura 22 (it flakes off everytime I come to burnishing). I'm obviously doing something really wrong when it comes to torching it. Also apparently due to Aura 22 not being a big hit (I wonder why!) no one is selling it anymore.

Has anyone used Accent Gold and had good results from it?

Thanks,
    Em
    www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
    www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

I've used both & they've been fine, though Accent Gold is a richer colour, if you switch try Art Clay Gold which I prefer to Aura 22
    How are you firing it & applying? I always hand burnish the gold with an agate burnisher. If it's flaking it could be a couple of things, the instructions on Petras Silverclay site are pretty good.
    They're on this page http://www.silverclay.co.uk/shgo.htm

The best method I've used was to fire the silver then carefully remove the cool silver without touching the area you are adding gold to (finger oils will affect gold adhesion). Add the gold while the silver is still in it's white stage and then torch fire it on.
    Dry naturally, ***do not use a hotplate / cup warmer to dry
    apply 3 coats of gold
    ***must be thin coats
    ***2 coats will yield a very subtle gold application
    ***must dry in between coats as directed above
    When Torch firing
    Torch evenly until the orange glow is present then time the firing for 3-7 minutes (do not overheat or the gold will be absorbed into the surface of the silver...just a light orange glow...not red)

Hope that helps
    Nic x
    Last edited by MuranoSilver; 16-01-2009, 07:56 PM.
    **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
    Different prize every month
    Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
    PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Hi Nic,

I've pretty much stuck to those guidelines when I've worked with it (I think) - why it's not adhereing to the surface I don't know.

The only pieces I've had luck with have had slightly textured surfaces on them, the ones it comes off of have a very smooth surface...do you think this could be the reason or from your own usage is that unlikely?

Maybe I'll try the Art Clay Gold (I do like the colour achieved with Aura), it's a shame it's so expensive to be experimenting with. :S

Thanks,
      Em x

Comment

Nic, I think you should change your user name to "Silver Clay Goddess"

Comment

Originally posted by emmajacob View Post
          Nic, I think you should change your user name to "Silver Clay Goddess"
          ROFL - Does that title come with a Zena Warrior Princess Style Breast Plate?

More thoughts on the flaking...
          Sometimes (& more often with Aura22) the paste appears dry, but is really still wet underneath. If heated like this, the heated moisture will expand and the gold will be separated from the silver. The gold then flakes off. I leave it overnight, as in this case slower is better....

Adding heat for quicker drying might also cause "flakies", even a little bit of added heat might cause the trapped underneath moisture to expand (as mentioned above) and the gold will be separated from the silver. After firing the gold flakes off. Dry without heat. Be patient.
          (OK, ok I hear you say, I get it no heat!!)

Saving the Flakies
          If you've done Keum-boo you could try re-attaching and flaky bits before they fully detach.. Simultaneously heat the piece from below and apply a burnisher to the gold area to "encourage" the gold to fuse to the silver.

You can even do the whole thing this way.
          http://www.silver-clay.com/LowHeatAura22Process.pdf
          Here's a PDF from PMC guild that explains it in detail, it also compares the best applications for Aura22 vs Keum-boo

Hope that helps
          Nic xx
          **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
          Different prize every month
          Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
          PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MuranoSilver View Post
            ROFL - Does that title come with a Zena Warrior Princess Style Breast Plate?
            Haha, I don't see why not, maybe with some fine silver in the design and some of that darn Aura 22 aswell?

I have to admit sometimes I haven't left the Aura over night and this could be the issue then. *sigh* I guess I need to be more patient with it. I might try out the Art Clay Gold though seeing as you get a bit more than 1 gram.

Thanks,
            Em x

Comment

Working...
            X