PMC and stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMC and stone

Nets bought me a PMC kit for xmass, as if Ive not enough to do!!!
    Ive 2 questions for any that are used to working with it.

Is it possible to set a small stone into the clay before fireing, I know the clay shrinks, but if the setting wraps around the front of the stone will it just drop apart when it shrinks? I have picked stones that will easily stand the temp needed

The other thing is can you insert silver wire into the clay then fire it. Will the wire stay in place?

I have some great ideas in my head but think I may be expecting too much from the clay

Have a look at page 5 for setting stones. http://www.pmcguild.com/download/Get...tedwithPMC.pdf
    "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
    my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Ta Gill should have just pm you

Comment

I just found my clay today Urbtaf and I wqas googling for info myself. I'm going to print out that booklet.

Comment

What stones are you using Urbtaf? CZ's are great as you can embed them right into the clay, you can "trap" a stone with threads of silverclay but it will discolour most stones as when it shrinks it leaves an "edge".

You can embed fine silver wire easily, if you bend the end then curve it into the clay it naturally makes a really strong connection. If it's going in straight then roughing it doesn't hurt.

If embedding sterling you'll have to adjust the firing times & temp as it can make the sterling brittle. Another option is soldering onto the fired silver clay, burnish first to get a good surface because the finished piece is naturally a bit more porus. It's also best to avoid pickling PMC/Art Clay
          and manually clean if soldering on wires (again due to porosity).

There are quite a few firing tips etc here
          http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20016

Hope that helps
          Nicxx
          **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
          Different prize every month
          Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
          PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

WoW!!! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L0xRNB...9A1E2&index=14

Comment

Its urbtaf, thanks nic and gill and that vid is wow. Getting the idea, will study untill I feel confident then set a day aside to experiment!!
              Cant wait to get oils and clay all over the kitchen then trash the cooker but like most things practise makes perfect, hopefully
              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Ubertaf
                I've made flexible clay like this - ideally you need experience of optimum "working texture" to get the best results, so (to avoid ending with a sticky mess) maybe make flexible clay your second project

Nic x
                **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                Different prize every month
                Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Working...
                X