Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pieces in a collection

Hi there everyone,

I'm seriously considering the steps I need to take to make a business out of my jewellery making.

I want the pieces I make to be made "on demand" rather than make a huge amount of stock (as I'll be working in PMC, I can't really justify making loads of the same thing). For this reason the items for sale will be a little more unique as it's not mass produced etc.

I'm putting together my first "collection" but I'm not sure what the appropriate amount of different pieces would be...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Em
    www.silverflock.com - Handmade fine silver jewellery
    www.emmajacob.com - Illustration

Hi Em

Im sure someone will advise you soon with the amount you need to make up for your new collection, just wanted to wish you loads of luck and dont forget to show it off with pics in the forum when its ready!
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah!

I'll make sure to get the finished collection up - as I've only got about 4 pieces so far that I think are marketable it's probably going to be a few months. lol

Em

Comment

Im no expert in jewellery making Em but speaking generally, I really believe less is more, I would be more willing buy something that is unique and different, so your on the right track! you must be so excited!
        Sarah

Comment

I don't think there is a set amount of pieces in a collection.
          It also depends on how you are defining collection - would you be doing eg Valentines collection Summer Collection etc or would it be Emma Jacob Collection?

Although I don't work in PMC (but would love to learn) people ask me for sets eg pendant and earrings - although I have been asked (on more than one occasion) to match an ankle chain and earrings

You can always go the route of 'here are a few examples but I do bespoke orders to'o - that way you are not expected to have huge stock amounts but are showing samples of work /designs.

Does that help in any way? Hope so

All the best with your business
          Terry xxx
          You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
          Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

When I say collection I mean a set of pieces (currently pendants, but hopefully some earrings soon) that clients will be able to choose from and then I'll make. The collection does also have a theme and I'm hoping to create at least two collections a year - I already have my second theme in mind and it'll be perfect for Autumn/Winter.

Anyway I've got two designs and two variations that I've made so far, which I wear personally and as they are the originals I'd like to keep them for myself - so I'm thinking I can photograph the originals and make the purchased ones when they're ordered by clients? Does that make sense or is that a crazy idea?

Thinking on it more maybe I should go for a minimum of 10 designs? Although based on that maybe I'll have to sell some of the originals to make my money back! lol, it's all very complicated.

Sorry for the long post...

Comment

I would say about 4 "themes" would keep a viewers interest
              e.g. Daisy Theme, Pawprint theme,Hand stamped theme etc
              then within each theme pendant, necklace, earrings (stud & dangly), ring or bracelet?

That would have you making about 20 items as an initial start point
              plus would give viewers something to add to their "wish list".
              e.g. Present bought of pendant would then make the recipient poss buy earrings?

You could add and change "themes" as you progress" you could also put in a section for "custom" or "one off" work showing design to finished stage and allowing people to contact you to ask about commissions

hope that helps

Nic x
              **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
              Different prize every month
              Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
              PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

as a buyer of even unique style pieces, i would need to see more than 4 to consider the site. I think a collection should be like a half decent portfolio, enough to view a full page. maybe 8-12 different pieces - of course as a previous poster said these could be sets too.

It really also depends on your customer target base, for example if you're aiming at the bridal market a bride would expect to browse a selection of earrings, bracelets, necklaces, tiaras.

But if you're aim is to be 'bespoke jewelery services' you definitely don't need so much or divided into tabs like that.

Good luck with starting your business, i would love to be in your shoes at some stage in the future!

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Nic I think 20 designs is probably going to be too much for me to do, the process I use for making each piece is a little time consuming - although, you have sparked an idea off for me - I could look into having custom made stamps created with my designs (the pieces will have raised patterns on them) - so this in theory would speed things up dramatically.

MrsMeow, yes you're totally right - 4 designs aren't enough to keep anyone interested. lol.

I guess I'm pretty much trying to tap into the bespoke jewellery market, I do want there to be a good amount of designs but not too many that it bombards people and I still want the theme to hold it all together.

I'm going to look into the custom stamps, if it's a viable option then I think I'll try to go with about 15...

I'm self-employed (I'm an illustrator btw), the only reason I'm able to make a big push right now on the jewellery is because things have pretty much slowed down for me, so I'm getting all my illustration marketing dealt with and the jewellery side of things! Might as well make good use of my time and knock some things on the head, rather than wallow in self-pity.

Thanks for all the great advice,
                  Em

Comment

So, I've bitten the bullet and just ordered some custom stamps of my designs so hopefully they'll arrive on Saturday.

By the way the site I used is clear-stamps.com, I'll let you all know if the stamps work out ok.

Fingers crossed this will speed up my productivity.

Comment

Hi Em
                      I've just re-read your first post...if you're making in PMC then why not use some of that gorgeous artwork of yours for your designs? All you need is a printer, some OHP film, photopolymer plates and a good UV light source
                      (like the UV nail lights from your local nail salon).

You could draw some fab black & white images and turn them into stamps yourself. If clear-stamps doesn't work out for you, then I would happily show you the process.

Nic x
                      **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                      Different prize every month
                      Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                      PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

Sorry can't be of any help, but just wanted to wish you loads of luck. Go for it!

I hope it goes really well for you
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Hi Nic,

I'm thinking of making up some stamps of the leafy/flowery images that are on my site along with the birds and butterflies, but I don't think they'll fit in with the first theme too well. Doesn't mean I can't get another collection going though - I also want to do something using coloured enamel in the pieces, which could be nice for summer.

Argh too many ideas, like I said earlier I already have my theme for autumn too!

Thanks, I may take you up on your offer if Clear-Stamps doesn't work out.

Em x

p.s. thanks for all the support from everyone.

Comment

Hi Emma
                            first off, just wanted to say, I had a look at your illustrations and they are fab!

I'm in the process of creating collections for my new bridal/special occasion jewellery business and I know how tricky it is to get started.

I'd say you definitely want 4+ designs, but not too many, or they won't seem exclusive, and in my view, exclusivity is what its all about.

Sounds like some really good ideas about how to alter one of your designs slightly to give another one - that's something I'm working on at the mo - having a particular 'style' that can be altered to give two different types of item, but won't take too much for me to design /produce (I'm going to need a fairly wide range for the bridal side...)

good luck with it all
                            Sarah x

Comment

Good luck with your collection. How are you planning to sell them? If on-line, I think you're on the right track. If at craft fairs, people usually expect to take the item home with them so you'd need quite a lot of pieces. When I do a craft fair I usually have at least 50 pieces on display plus replacements. The more you make the quicker you'll get so it won't take you long to build up your stock. Craft fairs are a good way to get your work noticed and bring traffic to your site.

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk
                              Best wishes
                              Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X