Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help??

Hey all,

Ive been making heart shapes out of wire and want to join the two ends together tidily. Does anyone know if it would be possible to use a soldering iron for this? Or any other ideas would be good thanks
    Handmade Jewellery
    Follow me on Twitter
    www.
    elizakate.co.uk
    Etsy Shop!

Not sure, it's worth a try, what's the worst that can happen?

I had a play with wire a few weeks ago, but I couldn't get it to look tidy and how I could see it in my mind, but I'm sure I could beg a soldering iron off my dad and have a go. If anybody has got any tips I'd love to hear them
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

i did have a go at making wire shapes but they all turned into something else ( a ball of wire ) after i got p-off with it lol i just do wire wrapping now lol lots easier

Comment

Heh heh that's just how I felt, there's not many things that I give up on.........but after the wire travelled the length of the room and bounced off the wall I thought it best to bury it deep in my crafty stuff!

Comment

Lol, i get frustrated with it too sometimes but its going ok.. at the moment, my OH keeps finding bits all through the house from where i cut it!
          Handmade Jewellery
          Follow me on Twitter
          www.
          elizakate.co.uk
          Etsy Shop!

Comment

My excuse for not hoovering is that I don't want the little metal findings and bits and pieces to break the vax!

Comment

My carpet is a veritable treasure trove of bits of wire, either from the wire itself or from trimming the ends of head/eye pins. I just have no control over where the bits fly off to. We had a friend over a few months ago, and even though he was about 6 ft away from me, I have to confess that I pinged him a couple of times with .8 and 1mm offcuts

For some reason, my vacuum cleaner seems to miss most of them, but leaves them with sharp bits sticking out.... much to the annoyance of the rest of the family (well they have slippers, they should wear them!)
              www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Silver wire solder

You could silver solder them. I have made chains successfully using 1mm wire and soldering them.

I will post a photo in my labum later on this afternoon. They do look tidy when finished.

Hope that helps

Cat'sEyes
                Take care

Sandra

Cat'sEyes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://catseyesjewellery.blogspot.com/

http://www.funimaging.com

(A photographic website that I sort of manage)

Comment

I think soldering would be the only way to get that tidy look. Otehr wise you just have to wrap it. Iv done a couple of heart pendants without soldering. Il look up some pics.
                  Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I make a heart pendant with 2mm wire which I bend into shape. I cross over the two ends at bottom of heart and hammer them so that the top wire sinks into the bottom wire. I then solder them with silver solder and a torch. Once pickled, I file off excess wire and solder. I then planish the whole thing with a hammer to texture it. I then solder a small jump ring onto the back at an angle for the snake chain to go through. This Christmas this has been really popular.
                      Best wishes
                      Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Man i cant wait for my silversmith course so i can learn to solder!!

Comment

Ive used metal tube beads to join wire, you just have to make sure the internal size of the tube bead matches the wire your using, and incorperate the bead into your design

Comment

easy way to solder

Hi,

Make sure the wire is silver, then buy paste solder, and use a blow torch (the sort you use for caramelising in cooking) gas cans are only about £2.50 to replace, and wire and solder paste can be found at

cooksons jewellery supplies website

hope it helps

Jo

Comment

Thank you all for your help if bought a soldering iron off eBay just so I can give it ago it will take some trial and error I think.. I'll feed back my results. Thanks agen ps the pics are lush!!
                              Handmade Jewellery
                              Follow me on Twitter
                              www.
                              elizakate.co.uk
                              Etsy Shop!

Comment

Working...
                              X