Shapes/moulds for wirework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapes/moulds for wirework

Being an absolute beginner at all things jewellery making I will probably have loads of odd questions for you Here's one..
    I like to shape a piece of wire into a cone shape spiral. Can you buy small shaped objects to do this on or does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this.
    And I apologise if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer
    Thank you

I think its an expense to look for specific tools to do the job so I would try to use anything thats lying around the home or maybe even try to make some.

Small cone shapes are easily made from a circle of cardboard, cut from the edge to the centre then secure it into a cone shape (a bit like a party hat) with some sellotape or staples.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I think my suggestions would be to make a flat silver spiral by winding the silver round and round. When it's large enough push the centre through until you have a tapered coil. That makes perfect sense to me but I'm not sure it will to anyone else!?
      Best wishes
      Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Glitterbug View Post
        I think my suggestions would be to make a flat silver spiral by winding the silver round and round. When it's large enough push the centre through until you have a tapered coil. That makes perfect sense to me but I'm not sure it will to anyone else!?
        I get what you're saying - and I'm just a girl!
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I usually dig about in the kitchen draws, its suprising the stange shaped things you find

Comment

Yeah, I would have suggested the same as Glitterbug too
            You can make a beadcage in a similar way, cut a piece of wire and make a flat spiral from both ends, coiling until the meet in the middle, then pull the centre out of each spiral
            www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glitterbug View Post
              Makes perfect sense to me - but it would depend on the size of cone I wanted to make. Small cones are easy to wind on round-nosed pliers, or the tip of a knitting needle, and larger work well on the little mini-funnels used for filling cosmetic jars and bottles.

Oh, the wind a spiral and push the end out works beautifully for making bead cages as well! Just wind the spiral from each end to the middle, bend in half and prod!
              george
              www.mizgeorge.co.uk
              www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
              www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Your suggestions have given me some ideas too. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                X