Query re selling jewellery incorperating ACS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query re selling jewellery incorperating ACS

I am looking for adviice re selling jewellery which include art clay silver. Does the silver have to be hallmarked to be sold as silver.
    I often incorperate Art clay silver into my jewellery pieces but was warned they would have to be submitted to the Assay office to be hallmarked if I was going to sell the pieces.
    Would be grateful for any info from anyone in the same situation as I hope to go into selling my jewellery at craft fairs.

Only has to be hallmarked if the silver content exceeds 7.78g and you state that it's made of silver.

Say it's white metal and it can be sold without a hallmark.

See
    http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/curr...gislation.html

Comment

If under 7.78 then stamp it yourself 925, but you have to display the hallmark info from the assay office where ever you trade. if over 7.78 then yes you have to get it hallmarked

Comment

art clay is fine silver which is slightly different to sterling silver

Comment

I stand corrected, 999 for pure silver

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
            I stand corrected, 999 for pure silver

A MAN ADMITTING HE IS WRONG - WITHOUT BEING PROMPTED TO DO SO??????
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

D I V O R C E

Comment

Now Now no boxing day scwables please.
                "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                  If under 7.78 then stamp it yourself 925, but you have to display the hallmark info from the assay office where ever you trade. if over 7.78 then yes you have to get it hallmarked
                  If your pieces are under the weight limit - is it okay to self-stamp, then? But you still have to display the hallmark info? Would a jeweller have to display the assay info on their website?

Also, if parts are sterling - i.e. over the weight limit, but findings are not, or parts are aluminium, what are the rules there?

And... (first post - many questions!) does the solder used need to be of a specific quality/ratio of silver:alloy?

Last one (for tonight, anyway...) if the weight of the silver in a piece is less than 7.78g, but the total weight of the piece is more, what's the rules there?

thanks x

Comment

Originally posted by LucySG View Post
                    If your pieces are under the weight limit - is it okay to self-stamp, then? But you still have to display the hallmark info? Would a jeweller have to display the assay info on their website?

Yes that is correct - but you have to be able to prove that your silver is sterling, ie with your receipts.

Not sure about displaying the info on your website - we have a market stall and although none of the pieces we sell contain more than 7.8g, we still have to display the hallmark info. We had a vist from Trading Standards a few months ago and then a follow up visit a few weeks ago to confirm this.

Also, if parts are sterling - i.e. over the weight limit, but findings are not, or parts are aluminium, what are the rules there?

The rules only apply to the quantity of sterling silver that you have used. As long as your piece is clearly labelled - that means explaining that some of it is aluminum.

And... (first post - many questions!) does the solder used need to be of a specific quality/ratio of silver:alloy?

Can't help you with this one - maybe someone else can.

Last one (for tonight, anyway...) if the weight of the silver in a piece is less than 7.78g, but the total weight of the piece is more, what's the rules there?

As I said before, the rules apply to the sterling silver used in any piece and not the weight of any other components.

thanks x
                    Hope this helps.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                    X