Twisting square wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisting square wire

This is for the wire workers.......what is the longest piece of wire you have successfully twisted without it snapping?

Ok the clue to the reason for my asking is in the word "snapping"
    To date I have successfully twisted up to the length of 12 inches. Last night I was being overly confident with a length of 18 inches and yes you have guessed it, it snapped. I am not a happy person as I am trying to make a necklace and I used my birthday money to buy this wire and now I dont have enough to finish the project
    I know I can buy twisted sterling silver wire but I feel that its a bit like cheating, but if I successfully finish creating the design I have in mind and the only way to make it look the way that I want it to look, then I will have to think about purchasing twisted wire cause I cant afford to snap anymore square wire.
    Di
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

two or three feet certainly. That's with 0.8 or 1mm square soft wire. I don't twist too tightly though.

I use a drill and vice or wire twisting pliers depending on how much I'm doing.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Is it because I used half hard wire then? For 18 inches should I only be using dead soft?
      Something Shiny Something Sparkly
      Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
      My blog
      Facebook

Comment

Could well be the problem, once it gets too hardened, silver will become brittle. If you've got a torch (a cook's torch will do) you could anneal it back to soft yourself - you'll need to pickle it, but you can use vinegar and salt or cillit bang if you haven't got jeweller's pickle.

I only really use HH for making findings or for maille at 0.8mm and under. I'd rather work harden dead soft for pretty much everything else.
        george
        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Working...
        X