Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gauge for making a ring???

Hi all,

I have decided to make a silver ring, just wondered what gauge wire I would need. i am finding this very confusing as sometimes thickness is given in mm and sometimes in gauge size. Also does anyone know the best place to buy this? I'd like to practice first is there anything similar- wire gauge that I could buy cheaper than silver?

Thanks guys I know you'll give me sound advice.

Chris

I have this http://www.comax.uk.com/wire_gauge_chart.htm printed out over my work bench because I can never rember. when I started I used silver plated as it was cheaper and most craft shops sell various guages of sp wire and as it is your first try I would suggest copper wire to practice on first you can pick up most sizes at maplins for a reasonable cost

Comment

Thanks Shiner,

I'll check out maplins- great gauge chart!!

Comment

Here's a chart that I use as well for you to have a wee look at.
        I think I use 0.6mm which is a gauge 22 to make rings.
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

Great chart, thanks dizzydiza, Your rings are beautiful by the way!

Comment

What sort of rings are you planning to make? If you plan to solder them you'd be better off sticking with sterling. Do you want to make them from sheet or wire? For sheet, I'd suggest nothing less than .9 and for wire, I'd say about 2mm.
            Best wishes
            Carole

www.caroleallenjewellery.co.uk

Comment

I think I'll try with wire first, do you know a good place I could purchase it from? I've been on cooks but not sure if there are other good places I could get it from. I'm so tired of googling now!

Comment

I make loads of these http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Simple-Wire-Ring/ from .9mm up to 1.2mm. You can also put a bead in them like this http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=1597
                www.wires.co.uk is the best place for craft wire.

Melanie

Comment

I love your simple wire ring, thanks for the site very reasonable, and now I know which gauge I need to!

Comment

I make them 'while you wait' in any colour they choose at craft fairs mainly for the 8-14 year olds. Once you get the hang of them they only take a couple of minutes. I try them on for size before I do the twist. They usually cover my table fee and it shows mums that I make my own stuff as well.

Melanie

Comment

Yeah, I was also surprised at how easy they are.

I had an evening of making htem a few weeks ago and made about 15! They are really popular too.
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

The easy way to get the swirl flat is to press your thumb on top of the twist and hold it there while you twist each wire with the other hand.
                        I have just tried out using two different colour wires with two wraps of the mandrel -4 strands at the back - rather then three for a single wire. They look good.

Melanie

Comment

I have some .22 wire, so I think I'll pop to the bead shop in Nottingham tomorrow, they do look very effective.

Comment

Working...
                          X