Customer Service goes a long way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Service goes a long way.

One of my friends dad a stall at a craft fayre at the weekend and they said that they had gone round all the jewellery stalls (there were quite a few) and one of my friends had asked about a necklace she really liked at one of the stalls.
    She said the woman at the stall was quite off hand with her and not very friendly.

Anway she went to another jewellery stall a little further down where she said the girl couldn't have been more helpful and when my friend picked out a necklace and remarked that she would've preferred it in a longer length, the girl offered to make it for her and said she could also make matching earrings for it as well ....and secured herself an order for £70. She took a deposit and said she would phone my friend when it was ready.

I wonder if the first lady realises that her attitude is scaring away customers
    Last edited by krafty1; 28-09-2010, 02:28 AM.

Well done to the jewellery girl!!

You're right, customer service is really underestimated, as is sticking to the rules of the craft fair, as Saturday proved to me.

I was talking to another crafter about how rude it was to pack away before the fair ends, and we were looking around and saw another jewellery lady packing her stuff away as the raffle was being drawn (15 mins before the fair closed). I had noticed a lady browsing earlier, and she came for another lap round literally 2 mins before the doors shut, and because the other jewellery stalls had all started to clear away, she spent her money with me, quite openly telling me it was because I hadn't cleared away yet!!!

I can't understand people who are rude or offhand with customers, if we aren't nice, they won't buy anything, it really is as simple as that!! I always try to be friendly without wanting to appear pushy, but sometimes I worry that people don't want to be talked to when they are browsing.

Claire
    Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
    Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
    www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

this is so true!! i think it cost nothing to be nice, i phoned our local chinese the other night and the women was very off handed, didnt say where it was, i had to ask she just said yes and didnt ask what i wanted so i just put the phone down, our money id precious i like it to go to nice people lol xxx

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

I was looking at some jewellery on a market stall last week and the woman selling did not even look up from her newspaper, let alone speak to me!
        How's that supposed to make me want to buy from her? I'm not overly confident at speaking to my customers at fairs sometimes but they all get a smile and a hello!
        And as for packing up early you know what time it's on till when you agree to go so I agree we should hang in there. I used to share my stall with a friend and at one (admittedly rubbish) fair she plugged herself into her MP3 player, folded her arms and sulked! I was mortified. Luckily she no longer comes with me LOL
        Last edited by Magenta5; 25-11-2008, 08:29 PM.
        www.jennynevedesigns.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9043479?ref=mf

Comment

There is a sign on a market stall that says "Things you get for free - a smile, courteousy, and good manners. Its really nice to get them as well as to give them".

Its so true that too many people forget that all these things cost nothing.

OH and me have quite a good rapport when we're on the market and we like to think that we can have a good laugh with the customers without pressuring them to buy. Many of our regular customers have told us it makes such a difference when the seller is in a good mood.

And we never pack up early.

I hate it when people say to me "can I help you?" when all I want to do is browse so I always use the phrase "give me a shout if need any help". Most people are happy that I get on with what I am doing but they will eventually ask for help if they can't see what they want. Seems to work for me.
          Last edited by auntynet; 25-11-2008, 08:36 PM.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I totally agree with all of you, as a crafter I always stand up and smile when anyone approaches my stall. I so often see other crafters sitting behind their stalls (almost hiding) and reading their papers or books or whatever, they then moan when customers bypass them. Also as a craft fair organiser I am disgusted when people pack up early. We had a really bad event at Brightlingsea, Essex a couple of years ago, the weather was scorching, and being near the sea most people were there. Needless to say not many crafters did well, but some packed up half way through the day and left without so much as a by-your-leave. I was absolutely horrified and upset as this left empty spaces in between the crafters, not a very good sight for any potential customers that did venture in. I have to say these certain ignorant crafters have never been invited to another of my events. As everyone says a little courteousy costs nothing and goes a long way. Good luck to the "pleasant people".
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
              I always use the phrase "give me a shout if need any help". Most people are happy that I get on with what I am doing but they will eventually ask for help if they can't see what they want. Seems to work for me.
              Oooh that's exactly what I say to customers too and I think it's far friendlier than 'can I help?' which makes the shopper feel put on the spot.
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Great minds think alike eh netty? (or should it be fools seldom differ?")

Seriously though, I do think its a lot less imposing than "can I help?" Another question I ask when someone's been browsing for a while is "are you looking for something specific?" Its very rare that the customer walks away muttering no thanks.

I reckon its Urbtaf's sales training he gave me when I started working with him -

Rule no 1 - always ask a question that requires an answer longer than yes or no . . . ie what, who, where, when, why.

Try it - it works!
                Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

So many words of wisdom from you great ladies there - but it's not just at craft events that courtesy maketh the day.

Having worked in a very high class restaurant many moons ago, I'm horrified by the absolute lack of any kind of common courtesy displayed by a lot of waiting staff. I'd much rather go to a cheaper restaurant, with a not-so-great menu but fabby waiters, than to a too-posh-to-care place where the food is magnificent but the staff make you feel unwelcome.

Am I wrong in thinking that since they're in the service industry, I would expect to receive some decent service?

The other thing that REALLY annoys me is shop staff who don't acknowledge your presence - we realise you're all busy people, but please at least recognise the fact we're standing there !

Ohhhh, this rant could go on for ages...............

Well done AuntyNet and the others for their words of (dare I say it?) common sense
                  With love,
                  Daisy & Me
                  x

Our MISI Shop www.daisyandme.misi.me.uk
                  Our email address [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post
                    Seriously though, I do think its a lot less imposing than "can I help?" Another question I ask when someone's been browsing for a while is "are you looking for something specific?" Its very rare that the customer walks away muttering no thanks.

I reckon its Urbtaf's sales training he gave me when I started working with him -

Rule no 1 - always ask a question that requires an answer longer than yes or no . . . ie what, who, where, when, why.

Try it - it works!
                    Ahh yes I remember that from my sales days years ago too.
                    Always ask an open question ie one that cannot be answered by a yes or a no

And I say that too...give me a shout if you need a hand

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                      I was talking to another crafter about how rude it was to pack away before the fair ends, and we were looking around and saw another jewellery lady packing her stuff away as the raffle was being drawn (15 mins before the fair closed).
                      I always think that's very bad form to do that, cos once one starts, lots of others usually follow and if there are customers still walking around it certainly doesn't look very good.

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                      I can't understand people who are rude or offhand with customers
                      Me neither, if they would prefer a job where they don't have to talk to people - easy answer, become an undertaker

Comment

i have always thought that when staff were like that with customers it was because they hated their jobs and just did not want to be there. but you would think when they are selling their own goods they would be happy to be there and see people enjoy their work.
                        i`m pretty shy with people i don`t know but i think i would love it.

Comment

Coolkat and I did a table top fair last Sunday and although there weren't very many customers and we spent a lot of time at each others stalls chatting we didn't ignore any customers and we both had sales. There was a mother and daughter there selling knitted scarves, wheat bags and jewellery. They spent the whole time sitting down behind their stall looking really miserable with long faces. I looked at their stall and said I really liked the tiara's she had ( they were really pretty ) and that I had made one and found it harder than I thought to get it balanced but I only got a very monotone and curt response. I nicknamed them the miseries and I don't think they sold anything.
                          My mum walked down to see me and had a look round and one of the stallholders selling car boot stuff said to her ' what are you going to buy then, you've got to buy something' Mum made her excuses and moved away quick.
                          I always give them a few minutes to browse and then chat to them. If they show an interest in anything I will often pick it up and tell them what beads I have used and I will say thigs like 'I have some matching earrings with that' or 'What colours do you like?' followed by ' I have that one in blue as well' or ' these are very popular at the moment' and if they don't want to buy I still chat to them if they want.
                          I'm sure I have got more sales by taking an interest in people.
                          Melanie

Comment

More fantastic words of wisdom I see, must say the quote about working for an undertaker made me smile on what is a miserable day (weather wise). Also liked the quote about the miseries, I have met so many people like this (I think the majority work in my local Range store) They are so miserable and when you dare ask a question you get a huff, a shrug and usually, "don't think we sell that" response. Its strange that the only happy person in the store (and the most helpful) is a transexual called Lizzie. She is absolutely great and I always try to find her as she is a great help and puts the others to shame (and I've told her so). If only there were more like her!!!
                            Diane
                            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I find that my Dino helps to break the ice when talking to customers as it always gets a giggle! http://tiptoptoppers.blogspot.com/20...ving-dino.html

Comment

Working...
                              X