When it comes to files for wire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it comes to files for wire....

Can i just get them from B & Q? I need one of those needle files i think they are called. Im having fun making a wire bracelet but the wire is pretty thick so gets sharp when i cut it.
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I have loads of fine files that I have bought over the years and the set of needle files I picked up from our local diy shop are still in regular use. providing the ones you get are fine enough to give a decent finish and to not get snagged. if the file is too coarse it is almost impossible to draw across the end of the wire a good smoothing aid as well is a narrow strip of fine wet and dry paper either held over your finger or sometimes taped with double sided tape to a lolly stick. the kids now know not to throw out their sticks they're so handy

Comment

Hmm.....i think a trip to B and Q is in order, to get files and some wet and dry sand paper!

Thanks for reply!
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
        Hmm.....i think a trip to B and Q is in order, to get files and some wet and dry sand paper!

Thanks for reply!
        They will work fine, but if you ever come across any realy old files at car boots, or junk shops grab them they always seemto be better quality

Comment

Whys that you think?

I dont tend to frequent car boot sales much. I should thoguh. Good bargins!

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
            Whys that you think?

I dont tend to frequent car boot sales much. I should thoguh. Good bargins!
            Most modern tools are made for the DIY market, but old tools tended to be made for craftsmen therefore better quality

PS (there werent any craftswomen in those days) before you lot start

Comment

I sell the files set from the Beadsmith, they are quite thin. Can't beat prices from a car boot though I guess!

Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

I've got a nice little set from Homebase. They do the job and weren't very expensive.
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I got my diamond set from axminster tools, they have soft a coating on the handles and quite a good range of profiles. but being a lazy type I tend to use my dremel flexi drive most times

Comment

I know they're more expensive but Vallorbe files are generally the best we use. I do have cheap ones that I bought as a student and when I look at them now, they are nowhere near the quality of what we use at work.
                    www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bea View Post
                      I sell the files set from the Beadsmith, they are quite thin. Can't beat prices from a car boot though I guess!

I ordered these. 2 days and i still havnt made it to B and Q! I also ordered some wooden beads.....

Comment

Working...
                      X