Wire bracelets/bangles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire bracelets/bangles.

I want to make some wire bracelets. As in all wire. I guess they will then be considered a bangle? But im not sure what length to do them.

As they will be stiff wire they cant sit against the skin so will need to move up and down the wrist like a bangle. Will that be a problem if there are beads on it?

Also i guess a lobster clasp would be the best bet for security?

I guess this is as good an example as any. Random from google pics. -

Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

If it is stiff then it won't need a clasp? I think it looks lovely how it is - I love freshwater pearls and wire/metalwork, my fave!!

Comment

Oh thats not my bangle. Its an example of what i might be making.

I guess if it is stiff enough it wont need much of a clasp! Maybe somehting to hook the ends on to.
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I make something similar to these too. If the wire is stiff enough I find the "Cuff" will mould to the individual with a gentle sqeeze!
        Allison Kiln

Comment

To make your own clasp

Take a length of wire....approximately 2 1/2 to 3 inches. 1mm half hard. Using flat nose pliers bend the wire in the middle then press together so that it is completely bent in half and looks like one wire. About a third of the way down from the bend use round nose pliers to make a hook. Then again using your round nose pliers you are going to make a circle. Take the 2 ends of the other wire, but before you close it up completely, hook it into the end of your bracelet and then close the circle. You may have to trim excess wire off. Im sorry I am not very good at giving instructions but I will post a picture of a bracelet I have just finished and hopefully you can see what I am talking about. Unfortunately I am on the house computer and my picture is on my laptop and they are not networked.
          Diana
          Something Shiny Something Sparkly
          Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
          My blog
          Facebook

Comment

Did you mean an s clasp!
            They are really easy and there is a tutorial on u-tube here it is....
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFr-5iNGnhQ

That might work quite nicely with your own wire
            Rach

Facebook
            Website
            Blog
            Folksy

Comment

Ok here is a pic hopefully for you to see what I was talking about if not I will add it to my album on this forum.
              No I wasnt talking about an S clasp but thanks for the link I may just use it in future

This is the update picture from this morning. Its a better view of the clasp for a wire wrapped bracelet.
              Last edited by Dizzydiza; 13-11-2008, 07:13 PM.
              Something Shiny Something Sparkly
              Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
              My blog
              Facebook

Comment

What wire would anyone recommend for a cuff? I tried one using the stuff I use to make clasps but its not stiff enough to keep the cuff in shape.
                flickr
                blog
                my website
                etsy

Comment

I would think you could use between 0.8mm and 1mm wire, anything thinner would probably be too flimsy

Debbie
                  www.beadservice.net
                  On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Oh nice clasp Iv made my own clasp once before but it was for a lighter bracelet. I might give one a go and see what happens.

With regards the rest of the bracelet im just a little worried it wont be a perfect round shape! Also i need to get a file for the ends of the wire.

Well i guess i wont know if im doing it right until i try it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X