Photographing jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing jewellery

I really want to take some pictures of my jewellery and don't know where to begin. Does it look better on white or black/dark background or does it vary depending on the colour of the jewellery? Is it better flat or mounted/presented in some way and what about lighting?

I don't want any mega technical tips, just the basics to get me started.

Thanks

Elinor
    x
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

On the top blue bar there is a search bar, If you search for photographing jewellery you'll find a lot of useful posts. Especially ones by Ian Beckerton ( a photographer) who was on here for a while handing out great advice.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

photosno m

no matter what anyone sez, its all about lighting, its no good just taking a snapshot with the camera flash or just the light from a window, you need to play arround with the lighting even if you just use a desk lamp. although, I have found that the best thing to do is to take your items on a little walk, down the lane on in a field, crafted items in a natural setting can really make your stuff stand out. using bits of wood or stones in your composition can be really effective; good way to get out the house as well

Comment

Thanks I'll do a search, sorry, I'm new here, haven't yet got the hang of checking back over past posts.

I live in a rather urban area of north London, finding nature might be harder than it seems, but using natural light outdoors is a good idea.

E
        x
        Elinor
        x

My Misi page
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I've found Ian Beckerton's posts, very helpful. Thanks very much for pointing me in that direction. I now realise I've got further to go than I though to get some decent photos, what a nightmare!
          Elinor
          x

My Misi page
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I find it a nightmare too! I bought a light tent thingy but turned out i bought a huge one! Its usless. I prefer using a white sheet (one i got with light box) and putting a book under it and placing the item on the sheet on the book. I just use a lamp then photoshop it after! Not great but ok for now.

Using natural light is great too but in this weather its impossible! Well in Scotland anyway.
            Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
              I find it a nightmare too! I bought a light tent thingy but turned out i bought a huge one! Its usless. I prefer using a white sheet (one i got with light box) and putting a book under it and placing the item on the sheet on the book. I just use a lamp then photoshop it after! Not great but ok for now.
              I bought a Cloud Dome very cheaply on ebay but can't get my head round using it. Then as advised above I read Ian Beckerton's posts and he says don't use any tents/diffusers etc so I'm in a pickle. Plus black is apparently a bad idea, and most of my display stuff is black arrrggghh. I guess I'd just better play around with white sheets, jewellery and camera until I get something I like and then try to remember what I did so that I can reproduce it.

Hey ho....
              Elinor
              x

My Misi page
              Follow me on Twitter

Comment

We used a cheap display bust which made the necklaces look loads better than when they were just lying flat. The rest of the time we used a plain white cloth to lie things on and earrings go on a piece of card with pin holes to hang them through.
                A halogen desk lamp is good for lighting on a budget! We found colourful stuff looked okay on a black background but not silver jewellery which went really bright and flashy in the photos. Something to do with contrast apparently.
                I think it's best to experiment with a few items at a time so you can figure out the look you are going for.
                Have fun!
                www.jennynevedesigns.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9043479?ref=mf

Comment

I really am remarkably bad at photographing jewellery. I've had a go today and just want to scream. The prospect of getting a 'look' seems a million miles away, being able to do it justice and get it in focus would be a huge bonus! Maybe scanning would be perfect for me, surely it couldn't be worse!

Elinor
                  x
                  Elinor
                  x

My Misi page
                  Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Do you use your macro option on your camera? And take the flash off.
                    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Yes I tried macro and flash on and off and indoors and outdoors. I've just put some pictures in an album on my profile page if you want to see how dreadful they are

Elinor
                      x
                      Elinor
                      x

My Misi page
                      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

just had a look and i think you may be being a bit hard on yourself, i think they look good and your jewelery is luvverly. i tried taking some picts today. not great! so i am finding this thread very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                          Whilst I can see why you feel they're not perfect (let's face it, how many are unless you're H Samuels etc!), I fully agree with Just Sally that you're being too hard on yourself!
                          Thank you, and Just Sally, I really appreciate the positive feedback from both of you

My only tip would be that, if you're including props, ensure they're either entirely in shot or purposely not due to artiness - in your earrings one, the stand is slightly cut off at the bottom
                          Yes, I'm with you on this. As this was the only shot that showed the earrings I just put it up anyway. Believe it or not I used to be a picture researcher for a stock photo agency, which is probably why I'm so hard on myself. Being able to spot a good picture is not the same as being able to take one unfortunately and it's driving me potty!

If it helps, I actually refuse to buy from some people based on their photography... But I'd probably buy from you!

I hope you haven't taken offence at what I've said, I can come across quite nasty when critiquing even though I'm just trying to help!
                          Thank you so much, that means a lot. I certainly do not take offence. I wanted honest and realistic feedback and you've been very helpful.

I need to sort out focus and lighting and what I'd like most to achieve is consistancy so that my pictures all look similar enough in style so that if/when I put them on a website there is a some sense of them all coming from the same place. I also know how much better the jewellery looks in real life and I'd like to be able to present it at its best.

I just need to practise and take loads of pics until something works then stick to it. It's just finding the time to take photos, when I'd rather be making the jewellery.

I am also very grateful for the positive feedback about my items, I haven't been making jewellery for very long (5 months) and only a few people have seen it. Although the feedback from my friends has been positive, and one friend has actually bought a couple of pieces, you don't know if they are just being polite. So thank you for that.

Elinor
                          x
                          Elinor
                          x

My Misi page
                          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X