SS and SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS and SP

I like to make jewellery with wire, usually silver plated. I feel safe with silver plated at the moment and find sterling silver too expensive.

However when i make earrings with the SP wire i want to offer SS ear hooks. But i was told it is better to not mix. Also i cant then say SS or SP earrings as they would be mixed. Is it best to say that they are SP and then offer SP ear hooks for people who need them (sensitive ear people).

Also what was the material you can put on your pliers to protect the wire from being marked?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

The price of silver has apparently just dropped, so if you are looking at going into using silver; now may be the best time.

I don't see a problem with having SS ear hooks with plated other bits as long as this is clearly indicated and doesn't detract from the overall look of the piece. There are many earring designs where the only metallic part of the earring is metal, the rest is beads and thread, besides, once you have bought SS hook, headpins wouldn't cost you much more would they?
    www.beadlab.com

Comment

there is no problem with mixing the 2, just state what is what on the item description ie. xoxox Earing. silver plate charm on sterling silver ear wire.

If you have proper jewlers pliers that are clean and smooth you shouldn't nead to protect the jaws my new pliers I sat 1 evening with a piece of fine wet and dry taking the sharpness off the corners whilst watching tv if you do want to put something on the jaws to be on the safe side the low cost method is a couple of wraps of insulation tape
      Last edited by shiner; 10-11-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I normally don't mix plated and sterling on the same piece of jewellery. Having said that, I'm currently making up a batch of earrings for a party night on Thursday and I've decided to keep the costs down I am using plated headpins with sterling wires. The info card on the display stand will say "Crystal/gemstone/whatever earrings on Sterling Silver earwires". So although I'm not openly stating that the pins are plated but I will explain fully should anyone ask. Most people wouldn't even think to ask about any of the findings other than the wires.

I figure that the headpin doesn't generally touch the skin so it shouldn't be a problem to people with sensitive skin.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
          The price of silver has apparently just dropped, so if you are looking at going into using silver; now may be the best time.

I don't see a problem with having SS ear hooks with plated other bits as long as this is clearly indicated and doesn't detract from the overall look of the piece. There are many earring designs where the only metallic part of the earring is metal, the rest is beads and thread, besides, once you have bought SS hook, headpins wouldn't cost you much more would they?
          Its not head pins really its actual wire creations. As in these -

Sorry for the small picture. But you get my meaning?

The silver wire iv seen about looks awfully expensive just for a couple of feet of it!!
          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by shiner View Post
            there is no problem with mixing the 2, just state what is what on the item description ie. xoxox Earing. silver plate charm on sterling silver ear wire.

If you have proper jewlers pliers that are clean and smooth you shouldn't nead to protect the jaws my new pliers I sat 1 evening with a piece of fine wet and dry taking the sharpness off the corners whilst watching tv if you do want to put something on the jaws to be on the safe side the low cost method is a couple of wraps of insulation tape
            Its my flat nosed ones htat are the problem. They arnt proper ones and mark the wire when i use them! I might need to invest in some better ones.

Comment

are they Amber chips? If so Silver wire every time. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to gem stones. Glass you can get away with plate but gems have to be silver IMOP. Plus you can charge more. people will pay the extra for gem stones.
              "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
              my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Yeah they are amber. Lol i guess amber does deserve SS. I have a limited supply of them so only use them when i really know what im doing.

I mainly use gem stones like amber/jasper/garnet/amethyst etc. But iv always used SP. I just cant afford SS

Would offering SS wire as well as SP on the website make a difference? Or is the damage already done by offering SP at a lower price?

Comment

I too work mostly with gemstones and I make both sterling and plated earrings. Using the same beads with both metals I would charge an average of £3-£5 more for the sterling ones and sometimes even a bit more depending on how much silver has gone into them. Thats not a bad profit margin for an outlaw of perhaps 50p - £1.00 more.

Having said that - I do buy my sterling findings in bulk so I get a decent discount on them.

If I were you I'd definitely think about making some in sterling as people will always pay more for sterling.
                  Auntynet

Comment

Is your site up and running and have you made the earrings already.

I really do believe that silver isn't all that expensive if you find the right place to buy. I would expect the profit margin to be a lot better too.

Start of with a few silver pieces and see how they go then work up to buying in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by auntynet View Post

If I were you I'd definitely think about making some in sterling as people will always pay more for sterling.

Yes they do case in point your chakra earrings.

Comment

have you tried www.mailorder-beads.co.uk for sterling? I thought they were pretty reasonable - £30 a reel (you get different lengths depending on what gauge you buy)

Work out how much wire you use in those earrings and then figure out how much the sterling wire would be. Then work out the same for plated. See what the cost difference is. As Auntynet said, it should only be a couple of quid - Then decide if it is feasible
                        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I sell both silver plated and sterling silver earrings in my shop. I have found that only those who are sensitive to various metals are particular and that is probably about one in ten customers. My silver plated earrings outsell the sterling ones because they are cheaper.
                          Chris W.
                          x
                          Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Forgive my impertinence but I just had a nosey around your album of your designs. In particular this pic . . . .

I worked out that buying your findings from somewhere like Palmer (where you don't have to buy in bulk), the sterling used in this bracelet would come to about £2 - maybe a bit less. I've no idea what you paid for the beads but I reckon you could sell this bracelet at a craft fair or on your website for anything upto about £18 or £20 if it were sterling. (Thats just my opinion and I am open to correction if anyone thinks differently)

I know you have to buy several packs of different things to get you started so the initial outlay may be difficult but I'd definitely try to put something aside from your sales and save towards a little splurge in sterling bits and pieces.

Think logically . . . .

If you spend more on your outlay and you double (or even treble) the costs, this means more profits in the long run. eg - spend 50p on findings and double it gives you £1.00 back but if you spend £2 on findings and you double it you get £4 back. I'd rather have a £2 mark up than a 50p mark up.
                            Auntynet

Comment

My website isnt finished yet no. Its almost there. I need to make a few more things as i want it to not look too bare. Plus im finding that i cant seem to get the font right! But thats another story lol.

That bracelet is with all sterling silver findings. I dont seem to have a problem buying in SS clasps and spacer beads as i only buy what i need. I think what puts me off is that you need to spend a lot to get a reel of wire, but i guess in the long run it will go a long way to making a few things. Also i like to have the option of a few gauges of wire at hand incase something takes my fancy and the thinner stuff suits better.

Im finding this whole stock thing an issue! I usually just make what suits my fancy and if someone i know is after something specific then i do it. But making a range of items is more difficult than you think as sometimes your making something you personally wouldnt wear so your heart isnt quite in it as much lol

Comment

Working...
                              X