Tradeing standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradeing standards

Had a visit from the TS today on the market, its a follow up visit from about a month ago!!
    On the first visit I taught them that 925 silver and sterling was the same thing, all I knew about hallmarking, they really knew nothing.

Anyway they have returned, better educated, and the rules are- nothing with less than 7.8 g silver content needs hallmarking, but you must display the assey office chart that explains hallmarking, even if you dont sell hallmarked goods.
    If you sell Herkimer diamonds, then they must be sold as "quartz Herkimer diamonds" if they dont come from the herkimer mine then its "quartz Himmalayan Herkimer diamonds" or whatever source they come from.
    Swarovski- heres a mine field-Make a necklace with Swarovski, and call it a Swarovski necklace, then your in trouble.
    Call it a whatever necklace, with Swarovski crystals, then your allright.
    Keep your reciepts, you must be able to prove they are genuine.
    That was all for this visit,they seemed quite proud of their reseach,
    Will wait with excitement for the next visit

Hee hee just makes you wonder if some people actually have a life! At least you don't have to worry about them for a while
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

So I suppose using the Swarovski logo with out permission is a big no no then.
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by goldy1 View Post
        So I suppose using the Swarovski logo with out permission is a big no no then.
        No Gill as long as you can prove that you are useing genuine goods then using the logo is OK, as long as you dont give the customer the idea that the whole piece is Swarovski made.

Comment

Well If I saw the logo on a web site I would have thought it had been.
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
            Had a visit from the TS today on the market, its a follow up visit from about a month ago!!
            On the first visit I taught them that 925 silver and sterling was the same thing, all I knew about hallmarking, they really knew nothing.

Anyway they have returned, better educated, and the rules are- nothing with less than 7.8 g silver content needs hallmarking, but you must display the assey office chart that explains hallmarking, even if you dont sell hallmarked goods.
            If you sell Herkimer diamonds, then they must be sold as "quartz Herkimer diamonds" if they dont come from the herkimer mine then its "quartz Himmalayan Herkimer diamonds" or whatever source they come from.
            Swarovski- heres a mine field-Make a necklace with Swarovski, and call it a Swarovski necklace, then your in trouble.

Thanks for letting me know. I make quite a few things using swarovski's but I always say they're ****with swarovski crystals.
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Be carefull Lilac, as each TS area seem to work to a different rule book.

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post

Thank you for that info, I have learnt something tonight about hallmarking.

Swarovski are a nightmare to deal with on rules. I have been in talks with them for ages for my bridal business. I have spoken to Austria and London branches and I had to do everything legally to use their wording for my tiara and jewellery business. I had to tell them what I wanted to state send it to them, they came back and said no it has to be like this, then I had to proof I had done what was asked. It took months as they are hard people to get hold off.

They gave me a list on rules to follow. Made me laugh! Tried to find it to show you but had a new PC installed and cannot find a thing now.

You now have to state - necklace Crystallized with Swarovski Elements....you cannot state a Swarovski Necklace.

They have bought out this new wording over the last year.

I was told by both branches, it is illegal to use their logo!! fullstop! caught using it and they will prosecute. The only people that are allowed to use the swan is the Swarovski shops themselves...no one else, not even if you sell their beads!

They said they were going to start cracking down on people who were using them and will be searching the net....if you use it then my advice to be on the safe side is to remove it.

I had a friend using it and when I told her, she said her supplier said it was ok. I showed her what they had sent me and said that your supplier should'nt be using it let alone telling you it was ok. She has removed it.

I have never known a company to be so strict on guidelines, wording, logos. You are not even allowed to have tags with the wording crytallized elements. They actually do them but I was told I'm not a big enough designer LOL...sorry I'm not Versace!! Very unfair but that's their rules.

Not a company to mess with on their rules!!
                http://www.bridalise.co.uk/
                Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery For All Occasions

Comment

In view of that last post, I would say be very carfull with the logo, because the TS did say that dealing with the Swarovski head office was very confusing.
                  And I havent a lot of faith in the TS to have got the facts right

Auntynet has just pointed out that "crystallized" is the new trade mark on their packageing

Lets all just say we make with sparkley things, and stop advertising for them
                  Last edited by urbtaf; 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I usually just point out to customers which items have been made using swarovski beads. This is okay isn't it?
                    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Since I posted on here, I have had a look on the business forum I belong too!

Someone on ebay selling mobile phones encrusted in Swarovski Crystals has just been suspended on breach of copyright laws!

Swarovski contacted ebay to tell them she could not word her items like that and she was in breach! she has had to deal with Swarovski to get it all sorted and she is a state, really worrying.

This is what I was told I could use (direct from Austria & London) this is how I have had to do it on my website - I was told by them to use this, they told me the wording I could use.

All our Designer Tiaras and Jewellery are embellished with CRYSTALLIZEDTM - Swarovski elements

They are doing what they said and cracking down.

I am going to see if I can get the rules they sent me and I will post on here.
                      http://www.bridalise.co.uk/
                      Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery For All Occasions

Comment

Originally posted by Louise88 View Post
                        I usually just point out to customers which items have been made using swarovski beads. This is okay isn't it?
                        Just what I do, but I cant pronounce it right, so its got to be alright

Comment

What gets me angry is why TS don't crack down on the people that sell costume jewellery that they buy from the wholesalers. You know the kind I mean - the 3" heart shaped pendants that are encrusted with tiny "swarovski crystals" and sell on the markets for around £5. We used to sell bought-in costume jewellery from places like Jewellery World and I know for a fact they only cost a couple of pounds to buy wholesale. Genuine Swarovki???????? Yeh right!

Incidently Louise, the trader on Bury market that sells them calls them swortski and says its me that's pronouncing it wrong!

I pronounce it swa-rov-ski. Anyone else have any other takes on it?
                          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

how funny,I would say
                            sva rov ski
                            but a couple of people have told me its
                            sha rov ski

lol
                            I craft, therefore I am!
                            for hotfoiled cardmaking goodies
                            www.fuchsiafairy.co.uk
                            now Live get your supplies here

Comment

Well thats 5 different pronunciations in 3 posts.

Keep em coming and maybe we can get to the bottom of it.
                              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Working...
                              X