selling sterling silver jewellery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling sterling silver jewellery

Hi guys! I wanted to ask what the rules were regarding selling sterling silver. Does every single metal piece have to be sterling silver or can you use tiger tail and tibetan silver too. Does Tibetan count as silver? Or if you list it can you state what is or is not silver?
    Thanks for your help Tanja x

if you advertise everything as sterlign silver it should be sterling silver. But if you have half a stall of sterling and half a stall of silver plated and make it obvious which is which thats fine.

Tibetan silver is not sterling silver, so i would point out its tibetan if peoiple are interested. If its just a charm or a bail on a sterling silver bracelet people wont mind. But if you say its sterling but actually sell tibetan thats not on.

most people dont mind a mix. Good luck.

Comment

sterling silver

Originally posted by coolkat View Post
      Hi guys! I wanted to ask what the rules were regarding selling sterling silver. Does every single metal piece have to be sterling silver or can you use tiger tail and tibetan silver too. Does Tibetan count as silver? Or if you list it can you state what is or is not silver?
      Thanks for your help Tanja x
      Sterling silver is at its best when it is marked with the 925 stamp - would be an advantage for you I am lucky enough to have found some good silver to use for my jewellery
      Mark
      Beads, Charms, Findings & Beaded jewellery - Jersey Craft Shop

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksallai/

Comment

I usually use either sterling or SP/tibetian silver but not together.
        It is interesting to note that if you have items hallmarked ( if they are over 7.2grams ) they do not allow you to use any other metal that looks like silver in the piece.
        I always tell people that tibetian silver is a base metal that doesn't tarnish like most SP and they don't seem to mind too much.
        Tigertail doesn't count as a metal element.

Melanie
        Last edited by silvermaid; 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

So tigertail with ss findings would be sufficient to be advertised as a ss piece?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by coolkat View Post
            So tigertail with ss findings would be sufficient to be advertised as a ss piece?

Thanks for your help!
            sorry Tigertail is just wire for your Beading most the time I assume your Beading wire willl be covered in Beads and then finished with sterling silver clasps ect which is perfectly o.k.
            for example at end of discription put the word and Finished with sterling silver clasps.
            althou personaly I would use The much better qualitie Beadalon wire as this does not Kink so easily - I know this from customers who come back for restringing - also try to use sterling silver crimps.

all the best
            mark
            Mark

Comment

Hi well only 75 % of time would the wire be completely covered. I like the crimp and crystal look with lots of wire showing.

Comment

No-one expects the thread to be sterling so that is fine.
                Beadalon is much better than tigertail, the 'silver coloured' or 'satin silver' are both a good match with sterling. The one called 'bright' is rather dull and more like steel than silver. A good place to buy is
                www.cjbeadworks.co.uk

Melanie
                Last edited by silvermaid; 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

On the description of my items I have details of what it is made of, for example the piece I have just finished the label says "Stirling silver foxtail link chain with solid metal beads and hand made silver plated clasp" That way people know exactly what it is

Comment

Mix and Match

Yes I know what you mean and to be honest its really down to experimentation I learn something new all the time - for instance no way could I afford to finish my charm bracelets with solid sterling silver heavy chain it would cost far too much for the customer - so most of this would come under fashion jewellery - Silver plating
                    Sterling silver findings can work out very expensive if used on everything -

all the best

mark
                    Mark

Comment

hi guys
                      a question from a total noob
                      what is "tigertail" and "tibetian" silver exactly?
                      Olaffi a

Comment

Originally posted by mark.sallai View Post
                        Sterling silver is at its best when it is marked with the 925 stamp - would be an advantage for you I am lucky enough to have found some good silver to use for my jewellery

hey
                        if i may ask where do you buy your silver from?
                        i have just recently started mking jewellery so i do not know a lot about providers.
                        i buy my silver from cooksongold, they are top quality however seem quite expensive.
                        thanx
                        Olaffi a

Comment

Originally posted by olaffia View Post
                          hi guys
                          a question from a total noob
                          what is "tigertail" and "tibetian" silver exactly?
                          tigertail is the most basic form of multistrand nylon coated beading wire. Usually only 3 strands (sometimes 7) it can kink badly. Better to use a branded wire (beadalon, softflex, etc) with at least 7 strands, and ideally 21 or better still 49 strands).

Tibetan silver is silver-coloured base metal. Traditionall it did contain some silver (usually 30%) but this is now rare. The alloys vary, and you need to be a little bit careful about where you buy it as it can contain lead (clearly not a good thing!) and nickel (which will not comply with EU regulations). As long as you use a reputable seller (ie not bulk bought from china on Ebay!), who has had their source tested for these metals, it's usually fine.
                          george
                          www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                          www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                          www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

i see
                            thanx for pouring some knowledge onto me,
                            Olaffi a

Comment

I did not know that about the tibetan beads. Could you tell me where to get good tibetan beads from as i think some people bulk buy on ebay and sell for a song here. I like them because they look effective, are really cheap and they don't tarnish.

Tanja

Comment

Working...
                              X